New Voyager's 'plastic sticker' is different from usual one

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Fantastca

New Voyager's 'plastic sticker' is different from usual one

Post by Fantastca » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 am

Hello my dear moogers,
Sorry for not naming that thing correctly. Please let me know what it's called!
On my newly acquired Voyager Performer Edition (sold Electric Blue prior to that because I wanted the wood look) that sticker on the keyboard says - MINIMOOG VOYAGER | EST.2002 (see the photo)

It's different from the usual sticker, and I have never seen the one I've got.

Does it mean it's one of the latest makes?

Also, how safe is it to take it off? I think I prefer a cleaner look without that sticker at all.

Many thanks
Valentine
Last edited by Fantastca on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

EMwhite

Re: New Voyager's 'plastic sticker' is different from usual

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am

I have a Select that has the same plaque; placard; nameplate; faceplate; badge; sticker or what have you.

I think they began using these after the '10th' year anniversary of the Voyager, but I could be wrong.

Previously, I had an Old School that had the other type which was affixed to the right hand side of the keyboard; or centered like on the Voyagers. There have been at least 3 different types. If you Google images for 'Moog Voyager' you will see that some have no placard at all.

I'm fairly certain that this is stuck on with some type of adhesive, not drilled and bolted but I have no experience removing them. With any luck, it was applied AFTER the finish had a chance to cure on the wood.

You might be able to do what kids do when de-badging their cars, that is, use dental floss and pull it along the badge, not along the wood, then carefully remove the adhesive.

If it goes bad on you, you can always get another badge from Moog and re-apply it but I would hate to see it go wrong and screw up the lovely wood that you worked so hard to get so maybe call Moog support and ask them about it.

My 'Select' has a 10th year anniversary decal on the side of the upright and it really is more of a sticker, not substantial by any means. I wish it was an inlay; I miss the brass inlay that was on my Little Phatty Tribute... now THAT was nicely done! The Tribute had a genuine silk screened panel as well; difficult to do with back lighting but it had a very nice quality feel to it.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks EMwhite.

I will research as to how to take that off carefully if possible at all.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:29 pm

My Aluminum Voyager has the 'Est. 2002' badge, my Select is 5 years old and has the Voyager logo badge with the little 'Saturn', in the same location over the keyboard.
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:37 pm

So which badges sound better? :lol:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:10 am

The Signature badges sound best. (They even say Bob Moog!)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Insert "stinking badges" joke here.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:17 pm

with no badge sounds better, because you get more wood