Sine wave for LFO

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tomf

Sine wave for LFO

Post by tomf » Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Is it possible to have a sine wave modulate the LFO?

it seems crazy that there is no option for this.

thanks

MC

Re: Sine wave for LFO

Post by MC » Wed May 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Modulate what on the LFO? Rate? Level?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm

If you mean to say "select a Sine waveform for the LFO" then you are right. There's no way to do this and that's a shame.

SOooooooo many synths go as far as a Triangle then stop; and a lovely rising an falling sine waveform is very much desired in some cases. Then there are those that say that Sine is boring; I happen to use it as a great, mellow sub-octave on my modular.

It's been said that you can filter a Triangle and derive a Sine from it but even with wave manipulation, the rates or frequency are well beyond what you would call for in a typical LFO application. Maybe there is a way to smooth out the triangle on OSC3 then run it at 'low' speed; worth a try but it won't do the 1 cycle every 10 seconds if that's what you are looking for.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

sloth713

Post by sloth713 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 am

I too am a little confused by what you are asking...
But if you want a something fairly close to a sine wave from a moog LFO you can run the LFO output through a lag processor.