What is the max CV the voyager can handle?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cjolson80

What is the max CV the voyager can handle?

Post by cjolson80 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 am

I'm finally building a euro rack and I'm wondering what the max CV level is that a Voyager can handle.
Same with a Slim Phatty and a Sub Phatty. I want to use the Voayger to control the euro rack. I know out going CV to eurorack is no problem, but what about from the euro rack CV to the Voayger (and others)?
I know people on here run euro racks so any insight would be great.
I know about the 3/8-1/4... No big deal. My main concern is the volt differences.

MC

Re: What is the max CV the voyager can handle?

Post by MC » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 am

5VDC
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

cjolson80

Post by cjolson80 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 am

I guess I'm more asking if anyone knows if there is a higher voltage that it can safely handle rather than what the CV range is. I've read plenty of things about people using 10v from their euro racks and not having any problems. I've read that it can handle 10-12v. But, has anyone ever heard direct from Moog (other than the manual) about safe limits above 5v?

I know I can just run everything through an attenuator, but it would be great if I didn't have to.

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:41 am

This is probably a time to call Moog Tech support to get the real answer. They state 5V as the answer, but that could be for many reasons. I would suspect they overbuilt the unit to be able to handle more though. if for nothing else than safety. you might only drive 80, but your tires can handle more, etc. every manufacturer will err on the side of caution with such specs... i would think.
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL

cjolson80

Post by cjolson80 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:26 pm

I emailed Moog and this is the reply for anyone else wondering. It is as I figured, was hoping to not have to bother with attenuating everything going in but...

Over the shortrun, there are protection circuits in place to prevent damage from voltages higher than 5 volts. But this is not wise to use regularly. I would suggest using an attenuator to trim the voltages to ranges that are within the Moog spec to prevent damage.

Thanks,

ANDY HUGHES
SERVICE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
MOOG MUSIC INC.