I just have to say...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Cenydd Ros

I just have to say...

Post by Cenydd Ros » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:14 am

My Moog Voyager is a beautiful instrument.

I played both the DSI Prophet '08 and 12 today. Neither is as nice as the Moog in terms of being a playable instrument. The Moog keyboard is superior by an order of magnitude. The wood finish is also much more plush on the Moog. The DSI's have sparse wood attributes. More important is the keyboard. I had thought that DSI used Fatar boards, but they just told me, "No" - they don't. The keys on the DSI's are weak, thin plastic, with a regretful feel to the touch. I am now resigned to buying a module format of Prophet '08 - the keyboard format is just pointless.

Been looking at a lot of synths lately. I like the build quality of the Nords. But, the Moog Voyager takes the prize for top end quality build for a musical instrument. It's a work of art. It's a real instrument - not just a sound source. I like that. Most "keyboards" over the years have been badly done. The finish on a keyboard is important. Metal and wood is where it's at for the body. I hate plastic cases for a synth body. Sings of being disposable. Keys that feel smooth and responsive is of ultimate importance, and oddly enough a rare thing on synths. Only a few synths have been packaged to be quality instruments - which is really kind of insulting.

The only problem with my Moog - it only has 44 keys ;) Should have bought the big one, but $5K for a monosynth stings my buttocks.
Last edited by Cenydd Ros on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

christopherrowand

Re: I just have to say...

Post by christopherrowand » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 am

As a former regretful owner of a DSI Prophet 08, I agree with everything you have said.
It's build quality feels cheap for an expensive synth. It has a nasty feel about it. I don't regret selling it, nor miss it's thin sound. Over the 2 years I owned it, the white keys became noticeably discoloured in my smoke free studio. I still don't know what caused that?

The Moog Voyager which i was lucky enough to purchase recently has an aura of beauty about it. Build and sound quality are the best I have ever had in a synth and it brings me great joy every time I play.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 am

Some hate for DSI..oh dear.. :? But yes I never regretted selling my Mopho x4. Bless Dave, he's a very nice guy.

I love my Sub Phatty a lot and also the Brute stuff from Arturia is amazing as well.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I absolutely love the beauty of my Voyager. Its a very beautiful machine! I love it! But I do have to admit, I have a much better connection with the Prophet 08... Ive just been able to make sounds off the prophet that I like more than the Voyager. Additionally, I might say that I prefer the Little Phatty over the Voyager, but that might be first synth love?

I dont know, I've just never really been able to find the sounds I want from the Voyager... But dont you let that believe I'm getting rid of it! Its a piece of art! Something to cherish!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm

The voyager is a great instrument, kinds miss the one I sold. I would have kept it except for having a model D. IMO, the voyager is better than any DSI or any sequential circuits machine ever made. The possibilities when you introduce a moogerfooger or 2 and some of the abundant CV are endless. And monosynths work so much better in a mix. The DSI stuff is cool, but it really does not have that analog magic at all. Some say the voyager is kinda sterile, but I don't. Compared to a vintage synth it is cleaner, but still not sterile. Hearing a DSI in a mix, I could never distinguish it from a softsynth or VA, but I can always tell that a voyager is analog.

psr

Post by psr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm

unfiltered37 wrote: Hearing a DSI in a mix, I could never distinguish it from a softsynth or VA, but I can always tell that a voyager is analog.
Never gave it much thought until I read that line. but I think you have a great point.there is a certain magic to the voyager sound in my beats/compositions that I've not found with my DSI joint. Kind of just blends in like any VA / SW synth but you can hear the voyager coming, its unmistakable.

So purty too!

love it. and cant wait ti dig in with modular synths at some point.
The intersection where HipHop & Technology meet!
http://www/Bboytechreport.com

Moog - Rhodes - Linn - Jobs
Slim Phatty | MK I | MPC | iOS

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I have a Voyager, a Mopho X4 and a Tetra (so a Prophet 08, essentially.

I actually really like the DSI stuff. I used to think that it sounded sterile or software-ish, but when I really dove into the Tetra via the (crap) Soundtower editor I grew to love it. It's nice having so many modulation options / sequencers / feedback / noise / the 'audio mod' business that happens with the filter. Once I got out of preset land and started making my own stuff it really came to life.

DSI stuff sounds pretty thin, though. True. Crunchy even. No guts. I tried one afternoon to get my Mopho to sound like a Moog. Even ran it through the Moog filter. I couldn't get it to come close. But each is good for its own application.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I never warmed up to my Prophet 08, so I recently sold it to finance the Voyager. Funny thing is, I bought a Mopho, for the right price, and I loved it immediately. I thought the Mopho was basically a single voice Prophet, but it sounds much better than I ever remember the Prophet sounding. Just got a Minibrute today - so thin sounding - hard to get a sound I can dig.

I guess everyone is different :D
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Cenydd Ros

Post by Cenydd Ros » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Shortly after posting this thread I did buy a Prophet 08 PE module version. I am very pleased with the sounds I can get from it. I should replace the knobs with a set of Prophet 12 knobs, though.

I do think DSI makes great sounding machines. But, their keys could be better quality. Also, I was sorely disappointed the Prophet 12 module was stripped of its knobs. I think this is one of the biggest mistakes synthesizer manufacturers can make - when you take away the real time control of a parameter, you limit the synthesizer as a performance instrument and as a intuitive creative device. I absolutely hate menu diving. For me, they made the Prophet 12 module version absolutely worthless. Now I am wondering how much it would cost me to switch out the keys on the keyboard version.
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:39 am

Just wanted to stick up for DSI.
I enjoy my P 08, I like playing 80's electro synth type stuff and the Prophet does it well IMO.
I don't have any problems with the keys, although I'm no keyboard wizz.