New Voyager - Question on Cables

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sp00ge

New Voyager - Question on Cables

Post by sp00ge » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Just picked up a Voyager RME to add to my collection of a Sub Phatty, Minitaur and a few Moogerfoogers (Clusterflux, Freqbox, Murf, Ep2 pedals). I will be adding the CV I/O expansion modules for the RME shortly. At this point I could use some assistance on cabling, I"ll explain...

I am ordering high end custom balanced cables from Redco for the Voyager outputs which will connect to a Nuetrik SPP-L1. I will also be ordering new high end unbalanced cables for the Audio Inputs and Outputs of the Voyager, SP Minitaur and Moogerfoogers (balanced AES/EBU Gotham with neutrik connectors and unbalanced Canare gs-6 with neutrik respectively).

I was looking through the CV specs on the devices I own and it appears that many of the CV connections support unbalanced TS/TRS connections. I am assuming this means that standard TS cables should then be fine for all CV connections. Since we are just passing control signals and not audio I am also assuming that inexpensive cables should be fine provided that they are durable.

Am I correct in these assumptions?

Thanks.

unfiltered37

Re: New Voyager - Question on Cables

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Moog outs/ins are all unbalanced, so no advantage to using balanced cables at all for audio, and especially not for CV. Balanced cables are only advantageous for either mics, or line level for long distances (like more than 100 feet). As far as TRS goes, basically all you need that for is for a splitter y cable for the mixer out/filter in jack, and only on one end.

So forget the balanced cables, a waste unless you are using mics. For audio some people recommend high quality cables, but rarely for unbalanced synth outputs, because the noise will be negligable. I would try out whatever cables you have lying around for audio, and maybe a single high quality cable and do a real blind test. Chances are extremly high you won't be able to tell the difference.

I am an audio engineer, and take noise and gear very seriously, and have spent a crapload of money on high quality gear, but have never heard any real differences in cables (or converters).

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Normally I use unbalanced for synth hardware because the outputs are unbalanced and my cable runs are max 15'. Like you said, balanced is unnecessary. However, the Voyager RME outputs have an option for unbalanced or 600ohm unbalanced connections (hard switch on the back of the case). From what I have read the Voyager RME has a fairly high noise floor some of which is reduced when used with balanced connections. Any thoughts on that?

The confusing part to me (I probably didn't state this clearly) stems from some of the following specs on the Moog website, for example the Minitaur CV specs:

•Pitch CV – 1/4" TRS Jack accepts 0 to +5V signal (internally processed for 1 V/Octave) via passive Expression Pedals or CVs.
•Filter CV – 1/4" TRS Jack accepts 0 to +5Vsignal via passive Expression Pedals or CVs.
•Volume CV – 1/4" TRS Jack accepts 0 to +5Vsignal via passive Expression Pedals or CVs.
•Gate – 1/4" Jack accepts a 0 (Off)/ +5V(On) Gate signal to trigger the unit’s EGs.

Note that these specify TRS for pitch/filter/volume but not for the gate (could be a typo). I am assuming that TRS is supported for expression pedals but one would normally use standard instrument cables (TS) for CV Moogerfooger to synth connections. Would this be a correct assumption?

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:29 pm

TS is fine for Moogerfooger to Synth CV connections, however this grounds the Ring connector on the Moogerfoogers, which prevents expression pedals from receiving power. So... if you plan to use an expression pedal and other CV (LFOs, envelopes, etc.) simultaneously to control a Moogerfooger, you should use TRS.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

TRS is ONLY used on Foogers and Voyagers as a pedal jack. This sends +5v to the pedal and a reduced amount back. All patch cords are fine as TS.

Stephen

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Question answered. Thanks for the replies!