Voyager Plug SE (VST/AU) or Voyager Editor Librarian?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Cenydd Ros

Voyager Plug SE (VST/AU) or Voyager Editor Librarian?

Post by Cenydd Ros » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out which of these I should get, or do I need both: Voyager Plug SE (VST/AU) or Voyager Editor Librarian?

I have an iMac and will be running Logic Pro X.

At first glance, it looks like Voyager Plug SE does what the Voyager Editor does and more. Am I wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

~Cenydd Ros
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

dravis14

Re: Voyager Plug SE (VST/AU) or Voyager Editor Librarian?

Post by dravis14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Voyager Editor Librarian is a total waste of $80.......speaking from personal experience.........total ripoff....read the dozens of threads that will confirm people's displeasure with this overly rated, under performing worthless piece of software......they promise you the world and yet I can't get this thing to send or recieve anything between my Voyager EB and their program loaded on my comp.......apparently, I'm not alone......Sound Tower, ( the company that makes this software) should be given a high colonic and sent on a 10 mile hike.........
dravis14
[email protected]

enossified

Post by enossified » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Anyone got a better answer? :shock:

I just got an RME and need a librarian...are both of these SoundTower products?

I've read many posts complaining about the Editor not working, I'm not too surprised as I own their DSI Evolver editor already.

I expect people who had problems to post about it, but I assume there must be some users who have it working properly?

Cenydd Ros

Post by Cenydd Ros » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 am

Well, this isn't good. I was hoping for some help here.

Also, I am buying the Prophet '08 in a few days. Soundtower also does the librarian software for the Prophet. My voyager has nearly 900 presets, so the software is more a luxury than essential - but the Prophet has only about 250 memory slots, so the librarian is really important for saving patches.

Really hope Soundtower isn't a complete barrel of monkeys. Anyway, why the F can't DSI put a larger memory bay in the Prophet '08, anyway? Slackers. We are surrounded by slackers. Even the innovators are slackers. Dave Smith, you are backsliding. Have you seen the Prophet 12 Module? Backsliding. Where did the knobs go? Backsliding, just like the Split 8.
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

enossified

Post by enossified » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I downloaded the Editor/Librarian demo, it worked OK so I forked out the $80 after a call to Moog to talk about it first. But I've only had it a few days, so far so good :?

As noted above, I have Soundtower's Evolver editor. It does strange things sometimes, I am used to always saving banks as sysex before saving them as editor banks just to be safe.

I would only buy the Plug SE if you really need that functionality...I don't.

So just download the demos and try them out.

quantize

Post by quantize » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:35 pm

if you're on a Mac then buy the Soundtower editor/librarian, that works...well

however as someone with bitter experience, DO NOT touch the VST/AU plugin...it is utter complete garbage and utterly useless

they seem utterly incapable of getting it right....simple test (with the demo if you want) try importing a bank from your voyager, saving it to your Mac HD and then recalling it to send again in the plugin...

Doesn't work, never worked, doesn't look like it will ever work...

They don't seem capable of testing it, or solving it...I reported all this to Moog more than a year ago...they ended up refunding my money.

quantize

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Note that Moog does their own SubPhatty editor in-house...

Stephen

markkilborn

Post by markkilborn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Has this situation improved at all since this thread? I'm a happy new owner of a Minimoog Voyager XL, and deciding which to buy: the standalone editor or the plugin. I definitely need a librarian, I'd like to be able to automate stuff direct from a plugin as well. My questions:

01) Does the plugin do everything that the standalone software does?

02) Has the quality of this software improved since this thread went down, or is it still an awful horrible thing that should be avoided?

Thanks!

-Mark

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:35 pm

markkilborn wrote:02) Has the quality of this software improved since this thread went down, or is it still an awful horrible thing that should be avoided?
I'm happy to be proven wrong, though everything that I've ever heard or seen from SoundTower speaks of unfinished crapware. Support is minimal to non-existant, it's pretty much a one-man show and Mark is rather rude to his customers when they request that the software work as advertised.

Good luck if you ever try paying for it. Me, I'd just do the librarian functions the hard way, by hand and one at a time. You'd probably end up doing it faster that way and save yourself a bundle too.

Stephen

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:57 pm

markkilborn wrote:Has this situation improved at all since this thread? I'm a happy new owner of a Minimoog Voyager XL, and deciding which to buy: the standalone editor or the plugin. I definitely need a librarian, I'd like to be able to automate stuff direct from a plugin as well. My questions:

01) Does the plugin do everything that the standalone software does?

02) Has the quality of this software improved since this thread went down, or is it still an awful horrible thing that should be avoided?

Thanks!

-Mark
My understanding is that the plugin and standalone editors are different. The plugin allows you to automate parameters for the Voyager from your host DAW software. The libarian editor has different functionality. It allows you to move, change, and create banks and presets. I got the librarian editor because it would have taken me weeks to organize, move, and consolidate sounds individually with the Voyager's wonky patch saving process. I organized the factory sounds I wanted to keep into 3 banks on the RME in one evening and part of another. I could not have even begun to do this without the editor.

The editor was almost a necessity for me to begin to work with and understand the Voyager. I know not everyone will agree with this. However I have had almost no problem with the librarian editor for the Voyager. It has a certain way it wants you to do things and may be different from the vague manual. Once you play with it a few times you see what order to do things in to get them to save and be able to recall it later.

The connection between the Voyager RME and the software editor works almost flawlessly for me and updates in real time. I am on a 2011 imac running OSX 10.8.5. The RME is connected via midi to my mac thru a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio/midi interface. Not so for my DSI Pro 12 plugin editor.

I would be leery of purchasing the plugin based on what others are saying about it. Owning a DSI Pro 12 keyboard and the Soundtower plugin editor for mac, I can attest to what others have posted. It does not work as expected. I would call it very inconsistent. I realized after I got the plugin editor for my Pro 12 that I didn't need it. Especially given how annoying it is to use sometimes.

Both the editors I own have been useful to me in terms of sussing out the synths quickly and figuring out what is going on in a given patch.