I want to buy a Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Fantastca

I want to buy a Voyager

Post by Fantastca » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fantastca on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

GovernorSilver

Re: I want to buy a Voyager

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 pm

I played a SubPhatty a bit in the store, but since I don't own one, I can't comment with great depth on it. Great sound. I was sorely tempted to torture my credit card to get one on the spot.

I think the Voyager's longer keyboard, with aftertouch response, and the touchplate might be enough to give you a different experience compared to the SubPhatty. But in case those things are not enough, the synth architecture is different enough to give you different sonic flavors - for starters, you get 3 VCOs instead of 2, and one of them can be used at a 2nd LFO. Also, the Voyager has CV outputs while the Sub Phatty does not.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:13 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I played a SubPhatty a bit in the store, but since I don't own one, I can't comment with great depth on it. Great sound. I was sorely tempted to torture my credit card to get one on the spot.

I think the Voyager's longer keyboard, with aftertouch response, and the touchplate might be enough to give you a different experience compared to the SubPhatty. But in case those things are not enough, the synth architecture is different enough to give you different sonic flavors - for starters, you get 3 VCOs instead of 2, and one of them can be used at a 2nd LFO. Also, the Voyager has CV outputs while the Sub Phatty does not.
Thanks GovernorSilver, these are some good points. I think I'll be content with SubP, Voyager and moogerfoogers.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 pm

I have a Voyager, too many Foogers, and a SubPhatty that comes over and visits my studio from time to time. The Voyager and SubPhatty are different enough from each other. If my friend didn't bring his over all the time, I would totally be getting one soon. As it is, the Voyager keeps me very happy. It's much more programmable from the front panel than the SubPhatty is, there's a lot more you can do with it. You may want to consider getting the VX-351 as well, it will give you all the outputs that are missing from the rear Voyager panel which are inputs only.

Stephen

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:08 pm

What is it that you think you are missing from your SubPhatty?

There are plenty of comparisons between Voyager and Little Phatty posted here and elsewhere so may be worth looking for that and taking into account the core diff between Sub and Little.

To me, the Voyager is the ultimate desert island mono synth. It's got plenty of everything; modulation, OSC, and wide range of envelope and LFO rates, I/O connectivity, and a great keyboard in a nice wooden case. The analog circuit board layout is dense and traditional thru-hole so you should feel good that 10 years from now if something goes bad, a qualified tech will be able to fix it (read, it's not landfill). And of course if you want to get into Modular or add much more control to your bank of Foogers, it's the best at that also.

What's missing? To me, the filter could have been one notch better which is to say that the Band Pass (hi/low mode) could have been enhanced with the addition of a few controls, high pass could have been fully implemented and maybe, looping envelopes could have been implemented right out of the box.

But most of us don't use all of this and you may find that 2 OSCs plus a sub plus noise is perfectly sufficient.

Many (I'm one) think that the ultimate collection of synths must include a killer mono synth and a good poly synth and some use a Rhodes for the 'poly' or a Clav, or a Hammond, Wurli, etc. Your Dave Smith x4 is a decent Poly but I'm guessing that it's the money you'd like : ) in order to better fund a Voyager.

I was blown away when the Prophet '08 was released and had to have one; still have not pulled the trigger but have an old Matrix 6 and some other gear that is filling this role. Maybe for you, VSTs for the role of poly and the Voyager will be a good answer.

I started with a Little Phatty Tribute and still have it/use it all the time. Then I saw Eric Levy (at NAMM 2008) and HAD TO HAVE and Old School: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcf6o8YQD8

//nuff said
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 am

Fantastca wrote:Hello my dear friends.

My question is - since I already own Sub Phatty, will Voyager bring new sounds, adventures, realisations and revelations to my life?
I really enjoy my Sub Phatty but don't want to end up with two similar synths.
Will Sub Phatty and Voyager compliment each other?

A Voyager will definitely add new sounds! I love my Sub Phatty, but there are things the Voyager can do with the extra OSC, extra control, and bigger keyboard that the Sub simply can't. The Sub has some awesome aggressive tones and other things that a Voyager doesn't really do, but not many. I would say that if anything, the Voyager would replace the Sub. Not the other way around. Personally, I think I could find enough in both to justify keeping both.
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:47 am

Ok, I might be an alien here but hey interesting points of vue are not always the most shared ones.

Why don't you keep your poly and only one monophonic? Ok, this is the first question hehe.

Now, about the SubPhatty vs. Voyager stuff, my feeling is that the choice of an instrument in a 1 vs.1 situation doesn't rely only on the specs. I often find myself comparing the following:
- mobility factor: because I like the idea of being able to play in other places than my own
- fun factor : which is not often proportional to the amount of possibilities
- interface: shift functions vs. menus and display, lots of knobs and memories... participate to how you manipulate your instrument, this point being even important in a live situation.
- exclusivity factor: this is where my alien-ness appears ;) I like to have few instruments which I explore intensively rather than too many that I don't (feel I) have the time to use. Today, I have five keyboards I play, excluding the one I'm selling and the one I'm waiting a PSU for. I feel this is to much. I'd like to find my 2-3 Ones. But the variety and my curiosity are such that... furthermore what you want/need changes over the time so... well. Oh, imagine this with effects stomboxes.

Anyway.

If I were in your shoes, and not so sure I want a Voyager, I would try a Voyager as long as possible in order to get a real idea of how I would fell with it. Oh, and don't forget you SubPhatty can be purchased new or used at any moment now, read: you can sell it and buy another one later :)

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fantastca on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:51 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Ok, I might be an alien here but hey interesting points of vue are not always the most shared ones.

Why don't you keep your poly and only one monophonic? Ok, this is the first question hehe.

Now, about the SubPhatty vs. Voyager stuff, my feeling is that the choice of an instrument in a 1 vs.1 situation doesn't rely only on the specs. I often find myself comparing the following:
- mobility factor: because I like the idea of being able to play in other places than my own
- fun factor : which is not often proportional to the amount of possibilities
- interface: shift functions vs. menus and display, lots of knobs and memories... participate to how you manipulate your instrument, this point being even important in a live situation.
- exclusivity factor: this is where my alien-ness appears ;) I like to have few instruments which I explore intensively rather than too many that I don't (feel I) have the time to use. Today, I have five keyboards I play, excluding the one I'm selling and the one I'm waiting a PSU for. I feel this is to much. I'd like to find my 2-3 Ones. But the variety and my curiosity are such that... furthermore what you want/need changes over the time so... well. Oh, imagine this with effects stomboxes.

Anyway.

If I were in your shoes, and not so sure I want a Voyager, I would try a Voyager as long as possible in order to get a real idea of how I would fell with it. Oh, and don't forget you SubPhatty can be purchased new or used at any moment now, read: you can sell it and buy another one later :)
Thanks stiiiiiiive,
You also brought up some interesting points here.
I strongly feel that Sub Phatty will stay with me forever, and if i get the Voyager those two synth will be my core.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 pm

You seem ready for it :)

The mono vs. poly stuff: polyphony helps me composing since I'm more a harmony guy than a melody guy. I often end splitting a polyphonic part into 2-3 monophonic parts so that the color is conserved but the energy is distributed differently. It's difficult for me.

Hope you'll get a healthy Voyager soon!!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:09 pm

The voyager is a great instrument, but the Sub Phatty sounds better. If you want a step up in sound, the model D is the only way to go. In my opinion, all of the functionality in the world does not rival a good solid euphonic sound. But that said, the voyager along with your MF's will provide endless possibilities. But then again the MF's by themselves provide endless possibilities, so I would go with the original minimoog. But on the other hand vintage can be difficult to maintain. But then again I have never had any major problems with my model D. On the other hand voyagers have their share of problems. That said, a warranty will cover all of that. On the other hand, it is a pain to send it back to Asheville. That said, shipping the model D to get repaired is no picnic and can cost alot. Then again, it is worth it. On the other hand, perhaps not to you.

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:18 pm

I must say, I really enjoy all the modulating one can do within the Voyager. I know the Model D has a more rough tone to it but I like the Voyager's slick sound. I play mostly bass with it so I don't mind that it's somewhat duller. I get to tweak a wide array of sounds and parameters and I love it!
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 am

So I'll have my Sub Phatty for roughness and my Voyager for mellowness! Perfect match!

Model D sounds appealing though as well. :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:35 pm

You might can find a used Voyager XL somewhere for under 4k. There was just one on ebay for 3k. So if you have 3-4k to spend on a monosynth, and you can't decide about the Model D or the Voyager, just ask yourself how important the modulation and the midi are. If you don't mind waiting for a good Model D to become available, you might want to seriously consider going that route.

I got my Voyager Select and Vx351 from Novamusik for 2999. If you decide on a voyager try there first.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:57 pm

quick update, getting my Voyager the day after tomorrow and in the end I didn't sell mopho x4, I'll leave it.
My money is gone.. oh dear, but at least I have a job. And in the near future I hope to finish my album and get a record deal of some sort!