My Voyager has no problem.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
stiiiiiiive

My Voyager has no problem.

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:17 am

It's a question of balance.
Forums report GAS then problems. Very few "everything is ok" topics, which is logical, huh?

Here's one.

I had minor problems with my Voyager Old School just after I bought it, but they seems to have vanished. Maybe she had a hard time being manipulated by strangers during her travel from UK. Since then, every time I've frown at my instrument was followed by a "ooh dumb me" epiphany. She wouldn't cause me any trouble.

Everything is ok :)

ColorForm2113

Re: My Voyager has no problem.

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 am

good post! how long have you had her?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am

Just over one year now, bought used though.

She was the 40th birthday present of the guy who sold her to me, he was kind of doing this for even more meaningful reasons. I think the Voyager thought she would leave a house full of love for a worse one, but guess what: my house is full of love for her too :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fooger_;-)

Post by Fooger_;-) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51 pm

I also have no issues with my Voyager (Select Series). OK, one little thing with the mixer, but nothing serious. It was repaired for free. Age is 2 years now, and I use it every day. So I'm very happy :P
kind regards
Fooger ;o)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:09 pm

I also have no problems with my soon-to-be 40 years old Minimoog...

Oh, sorry, this is a Minimoog Voyager thread, and here I am talking about a Minimoog D. Silly me... :oops: :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:42 pm

No problems with mine, either, apart from a bit of tuning drift that can be compensated for.

That's no consolation to the people who have had problems, though, like a friend of mine who had the whole range of problems reported by other users, especially the envelope problems that seem to occur rather often.

I wonder - mine's one of the old ones, pre-Chinese - and from the days when Moog tested every Voyager before it left the factory (maybe they still do that, but they seem to have stopped making that claim). How many of the people who have no problems have the pre-Chinese ones, and how many people have no problems with recent ones? That could be an interesting survey.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Fooger_;-)

Post by Fooger_;-) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Chinese once? Uups... holy cow!
kind regards
Fooger ;o)

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:36 pm

The Minimoog Voyager is and has only ever been - lovingly handcrafted, calibrated, tested, burned in, and packaged by real people at our factory in Asheville, NC.

The processes shown in this video aside from finishing specific to the 10th Anniversary Minimoog apply to all Minimoog Voyagers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR75HPWEIok

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:56 pm

<< The Minimoog Voyager is and has only ever been - lovingly handcrafted, calibrated, tested, burned in, and packaged by real people at our factory in Asheville, NC. >>

Isn't that the case with all Moog Instruments, not just the Voyager?

I've never had a problem EVER with any of the Moog products I've owned. Voyager RME, Little Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, CP-251, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105, MF-105M, MF-107, Rogue.

I love you guys!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Sweep wrote:... the envelope problems that seem to occur rather often.
Some other people could say the dead oscillator problem, or the dead filter problem, or....

"Rather often" is a very, very relative term. Since many thousands of Voyagers have been sold since its introduction more than 10 years ago, even 50 of them having any problems is a very small percentage of the number of units still working perfectly today.

By the way, since Moog Music came here to confirm that they are still very dedicated to making quality instruments with all the attention and care, how many Voyagers have been lovingly made since 2002 ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Didn't we clarify, in this forum not very long ago, that you can tell by the number and pattern of the screws on the underside of a Voyager whether or not it has Chinese-made components? Or does that just refer to the keyboard?

EDIT: I found the earlier discussion about the screws and so on. That specifically indicates whether the keyboard is a Fatar or a Chinese one, but this was clarified by a forum user who also referred to `a few reported problems on this list about failing electronics,' which seems to imply - rightly or wrongly - that the choice of Chinese keyboards may also extend to other Chinese components implicated in the `few' failures that seem to have multiplied more recently.

Of course Chinese components are common in modern electronics, but the massive failures my friend experienced had me quite worried, as we had no approved Moog support in Britain at the time and my friend had extensive problems despite going to a skilled and reputable tech with many years experience with Moog synths.

I'm not trying to rubbish Moog with this. As I said earlier, my Voyager has worked perfectly for the many years I've owned it. But I do know how much stress, inconvenience and expense can be involved when a Voyager has a whole series of component failures, and information about changes in the sourcing of parts has been very slow in coming. The change from the Fatar keyboard to a Chinese one was alluded to for quite a long time before definite information finally appeared in this forum, including a way to check which keyboard you have fitted. Until recently all we had to go on was vague information and conjecture regarding this change.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Concerning keyboards, I had an early version Old School with a crappy keyboard touch, probably Chinese. And I also had access to a Voyager Electric Blue with a much better keyboard feel than my OS, probably Fatar or something better than my cheapish one on my OS.

However, it seems that on later models of the Old School, Moog decided to put a better keyboard in, with the same better feel as the regular Voyagers.

Sometimes I just wish Moog Music Inc would finally publish: how many Voyagers of each models have they produced so far, what are the keyboards in each model and where are they made, where are the board inside a Voyager are actually made (we already know the final assembly is in Asheville USA), where are the wood casings made (I think I've read a little company down the street from Moog Music).

There is a lot of speculation, and maybe it's time to set the record straight ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:45 pm

thealien666 wrote:I also have no problems with my soon-to-be 40 years old Minimoog...

Oh, sorry, this is a Minimoog Voyager thread, and here I am talking about a Minimoog D. Silly me... :oops: :wink:
Alain, come on ;)
thealien666 wrote:However, it seems that on later models of the Old School, Moog decided to put a better keyboard in, with the same better feel as the regular Voyagers.
Mine is really comfortable. I think it's a 5XX serial number indeed.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Mine was really early, 008X.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 pm

If you ever have a problem or concern with any Moog product, we have a fantastic tech department that is here to help you and will always do everything we can to make sure your product is performing properly.

To be clear:
• We use a Fatar keybed in the Minimoog Voyager
• The circuit boards are made here in Asheville
• The wood comes from just over the mountain in TN.
• Before we ship a synthesizer we calibrate, test, and burn it in for 24 hours.
• Real people make our products
http://www.moogmusic.com/content/hands-moog

You are all always welcome to come and tour the factory and see for yourselves.

-Your friends at Moog