Voyager panel backlight always a little bit on

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
The Inflatable T-Rex

Voyager panel backlight always a little bit on

Post by The Inflatable T-Rex » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 am

I was letting my voyager select warm up today, came back to it, and then noticed that the backlight was on just a little bit. I assumed I'd just forgot to turn the light dimmer down all the way, however the dimmer was turned all the way down and the backlight is still very dimly lit now. The dimmer control still works turning the light up and down but just doesn't turn the backlight off all the way anymore for some reason. Its really odd to me since I rarely use the backlight at all.

The knob doesnt seem loose or anything obvious to me. Turning it on and off again doesn't fix the issue. It appears my backlight is now permanently on sadly, which actually makes reading the panels tough at low light and is obviously burning down the backlight life, which is not ideal. Is there anything I can do to correct this issue?
Access VirusB,Creamware Minimax,Roland TD-20+TB303,Future Retro 777,Nord Electro3,Korg Prophecy+Z1,Novation DrumStation,Akai MPC2000XL,Line6 Pod X3,APB-DynaSonics H1020 Mixer,Aphex Aural Exciter C2,DBX 166XL Compressor, Moog Voyager+Sub37+Minimoog Model D

fyvewytches

Re: Voyager panel backlight always a little bit on

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 am

I have the same issue with my EB. I don't know if it can be fixed, I seem to remember reading about this before but have never found out how to fix the thing.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 am

I have had this issue with my select series from the beginning (& not just slightly illuminated at fully counter-clockwise, the illumination is quite noticeable). I suppose it is something to do with the potentiometer but what can be done about it... i meant to get it sorted by the dealern, but never got the chance & my warranty is long expired.
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 am

Have any of you contacted Moog Music technical support about it ?
They might offer a simple fix ?

Especially if, of their own admission, the backlight has a limited lifespan...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

The Inflatable T-Rex

Post by The Inflatable T-Rex » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback and it's good to know I'm not the only one to experience this issue. I have contacted moog about the issue and will let you know how it goes.
Access VirusB,Creamware Minimax,Roland TD-20+TB303,Future Retro 777,Nord Electro3,Korg Prophecy+Z1,Novation DrumStation,Akai MPC2000XL,Line6 Pod X3,APB-DynaSonics H1020 Mixer,Aphex Aural Exciter C2,DBX 166XL Compressor, Moog Voyager+Sub37+Minimoog Model D

The Inflatable T-Rex

Post by The Inflatable T-Rex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 pm

So talking with tech support about this they say some slight bleed through in low light conditions is normal. I still feel my backlight is on more than off at the lowest "off" settings, which is a bit disappointing. However they said if it gets worse to let them know.

However I did get the information to permanently turn off the back light internally if any of you are interested. Myabe this will help others. See below:
First, TURN OFF THE SYNTH!

Second, prop the main chassis of the synth up using a thick book(like a phone book, 1.5 – 2” thick) instead of the metal prop stand that usually holds the Voyager upright.

Then, along the upper rear of the synth there are 5 screws, remove all but the center screw. Then while holding the back panel so it doesn’t fall remove the center screw and gently lay the back panel down.

Then, refer to the picture I have attached. This shows a black plastic box known as the inverter. It has a small switch on it labeled, On, Flash, and Off…set it to off. Don’t get too excited the Flash position doesn’t work.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 pm

That's great info T-Rex, thanks ! :D

Although you'd think that Moog engineers could have installed a potentiometer with an integrated on/off switch (like on the old TV sets) to turn the backlight completely off in the lowest intensity position... :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion