Buchla (Easel) type patches/sounds

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Moogus

Buchla (Easel) type patches/sounds

Post by Moogus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:10 am

Hi guys

I would like to create some weird soundscape type stuffs with drones a bit like a Buchla Easle check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHv3E2o5HE

Listening/watching vids on youtube the Buchla seems to have an underlining drone with notes layered on top. I believe this is possible with a Voyager without external effects as there is a patch in OS 3.5 - A15 Sizzle S&H Sweeper that is in the same vain, but not quite.

Does anyone want to share how to create a Buchla Easel type sound on Voyager ??

I normally just switch Env.gate to on/external to give me a drone then twist away, but I can't maintain a drone e.g. D note droning then play over the top without breaking the drone sound when press another key down.

M
A nearly has been...

EricK

Re: Buchla (Easel) type patches/sounds

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Forgive me if you have already explored these options.

Using Osc 3 to modulate Osc 1 is probably the easiest way to get noisy. You can use Osc 2 as a melodic osc by manually adjusting the pitch and using osc 2's volume knob as a manual vca.

From there you can try pot mapping and don't forget about your programmable sources and destinations. Also, and I want to insert a word of caution here, I think you have to use a stereo cable only from the headphone output to the mixer's input so you avoid an impedance mismatch, but you can overdrive the mixer for more distorted sounds with very slow tweaking of the volume knob for that channel.

If you have a VX351 this will allow you to split your signals more than pot mapping will.

Don't forget about changing your filter poles also.

Here's one I did, but there was some Moogerfoogers included also, but I used the mixer to bring different sounds in and out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQCpK9_QYI

The Voyager is definitely NOT an Easel or a VCS3. If you want to do stuff like that, join in the fun on one of the waiting lists.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Moogus

Post by Moogus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Not trying to make the voyager a Buchla as we know that would be silly. Like you say just buy a Buchla.

The Buchla inspires the pads noise.
The point is to take the music past where I found it, create something different, organic, evolving.

:P
A nearly has been...

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Also using vco 3 as a drone oscillator by switching off keyboard control of vco 3 on the front panel and routing different/multiple oscillators to the filter or each other as modulation sources via the two modulation busses can result in some fun buchla-ish results.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step