It's taken a while....

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
weemac

It's taken a while....

Post by weemac » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:27 pm

But I've finally managed to purchase a Voyager...
As a long time fan of the Moog sound (and analogue synths in general) I loved the sounds from those old Wakeman albums, Pink Floyd, etc. And while Ive had plenty of old analogue stuff, nothing matches the flexablity of the Model D and Voyager.
I did own a Stage one Phatty that had lovely wood sides. It sounded great but I found it harder to edit than I would have liked and the buttons were stodgy. It played fast but the keybed was substandard compared to my 70s Japanese synths. I sold it to fund a project to build eight string basses (anyone want one?).
I would have considered a Sub Phatty too but the short keybed is a put off and from the demos I have heard, the new design oscillators seem to have lost something and the sound leaves me cold.
I like the more polite Moog tones (with the odd resonance brain melt) and that seems to be the Voyagers strong point as folks have often commented that they seem to sound more refined than the Phattys, Fine by me!
In Australia prices for a new Voyager from the Importer are very good, so much that it really is best to buy one new. Im now waiting for delivery of a Voyager Select Fire with a natural ash (not white washed) cabinet..
I'm a pretty terrible player but I still prefer to actually play it rather than let Midi do its thing. And because of Midi I'll run a nasty synth module into the aux input so I can at least create paraphonic sounds with it if I desire..

Roll on next week!

Eden.
Last edited by weemac on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Re: It's taken a while....

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Congrats mate :)
I'm sure you'll love her!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Congrats indeed ! :D

Be sure to take a picture of this beast, and post it when you get it ! :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Milestone reached! Enjoy.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Listening to soundclips on the Internet is no way to audition a keyboard. I have a Voyager and my friend brings his SubPhatty over to my studio on a weekly basis. Damn, that thing can sure hold its own against the Voyager. We just MIDI a larger keyboard into it for the better key action and 88 notes. If my friend didn't already get one, I'd be putting it next on the list.

Stephen

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Congratulations !! You'll love it. It took me some time, it's like you have to get to know your girlfriend to really appreciate her for who she is, but when you do, you'll have a great relationship.
Enjoy getting to know your voyager!

weemac

Post by weemac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Well it did arrive, and sadly it had some issues straight out of the box....
The Led on the pitch wheel seems to have a dry joint.. (thats an easy fix)
It has the dreaded noisy backlight whine..
The "B" filter doesnt work, so when it is Lowpass/Lowpass mode it has mono output and when in Lowpass/Highpass it has two outputs again but both seem to be the same and the spacing knob does very little..
So It has had to go back to get checked out..
Sadly they have no other Voyagers available (waiting for more stock) and it may take a while to get it serviced too, especially if it needs a new analogue board, as others have found when this filter problem has presented itself..

I enjoyed the time I did have with it though apart from the frustration..

Oh well....

Eden.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Yeah, "Ouch." Please let us know the results after a tech checks out the problem. Good luck.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. I bought my Voyager used as well, but I almost immediately sent it to Moog Music for hardware upgrades. I have to admit knowing that I lived only 6 hours drive away from Moog Music gave me a lot of confidence to purchase this thing used.

As for the Sub Phatty, I thought the demos were ok myself, but I was really, really enchanted when I finally got to try it in person. The key action felt far better than reported by others, and I fell in love with the sound. Online demos don't really do it justice. It's not a Voyager, but it's a very pleasing (to me) sound that would complement a Voyager's quite well.

weemac

Post by weemac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 am

Well after almost a month I have the voyager and apart from a lot of operator error it seems to be all good!
The analogue board was replaced which corrected all of the audio problems.
The noise in the backlight system is gone too and all LEDs are running

It appears to have that thing where the backlights don't turn all the way off but I'm not going to sweat it..

I think there was other issues with it originally as it now sounds more open and present whereas it sounded a bit muted before..

All up, awesome!

Eden.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Glad to hear all is well with your beloved Voyager now. Thanks for keeping us posted. :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

johnxjay

Post by johnxjay » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:09 pm

its so pretty to look at with panel brightness up.