New to Voyager - and a lot of questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dietervanmarcke

New to Voyager - and a lot of questions

Post by dietervanmarcke » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello

I recently bought a Minimoog Voyager signature edition. I already own different Mellotrons, a Vako Orchestron, string ensembles etc... And I thought a Minimoog would be a perfect addition.
Now, all my other instruments are no synths, but analog keyboards, electronic keyboards and so on. That makes me quite new in the synth thing - though I know how these things work. I do have some questions which may sound common for most people reading this. I tried googling a little bit but I can't find a decent faq about the voyager.

Here we go:

- I put up the parameter display for three seconds so I can see what I change in relation to the preset. I noticed that constantly parameters are changing. When I go to a certain preset and press enter, all parameters are constantly changing. Of course, the sound is also changing. That makes it almost impossible to play or make a sound. I have the impression that it might have something to do with the touchpad, but I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated

- What is a normal "warm up" time for the minimoog? When I start it up the high notes are sounding more "flat" opposed to lower notes. I notice that this gets better after a while, but I have the impression that it doesn't really dissapear even after an hour of operation.

- Seems that I have only bank A on my machine... Doing CURSOR + UP/DOWN doesn't change a thing. Is this normal? Or am I missing something... EXT mixer is off...

- And... just for my own pleasure, is there a list of parameter settings available online for nice or "popular" sounds?

I hope I can get some help already with these questions - and excuse my bad english.

Many thanks

Dieter

weary

Re: New to Voyager - and a lot of questions

Post by weary » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

dietervanmarcke wrote:- Seems that I have only bank A on my machine... Doing CURSOR + UP/DOWN doesn't change a thing. Is this normal? Or am I missing something... EXT mixer is off...
Try to press ENTER several times, presets will switch with a large range, while the bank will not change. However, simultaneously pressing CURSOR+UP or DOWN should work.
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm

dietervanmarcke wrote:- I put up the parameter display for three seconds so I can see what I change in relation to the preset. I noticed that constantly parameters are changing.
This may be a sign that your Voyager needs some work. There should be no changing of parameters without touching the beast.

Stephen

timmyyorston

Post by timmyyorston » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 pm

the oscillators take some time to warm up. When you play it straight after turning it on it will sound very de-tuned. If you hold that note on, (either hold the key or press the ext switch), you will hear it come in to tune after a minute or two, depending on how the ambient room temperature is where you are. I have found that after a couple of minutes warming up, the instruments tuning is very stable.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Some pots are dirty and causing the parameter floating. Turn each knob fully a dozen times to try and clean up the scratchiness.

Your Signature may have the early digital board and only have one bank of sounds. This requires an upgrade to get the a-g banks.

5 minutes warmup if there is no breeze on the unit and it should be stable. The pots being dirty are probably why yours is instable.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Unless your Signature Series was sent back to Moog for the upgrade, it only has 1 bank of memory/128 programs. The Sigs were the 1st 600 units made back in 2003... (I have Sig #167 in maple...)

-andrew

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:23 am

I've got #326. It has the upgrade and the filter glide mod. Really need to do the aftertouch mod, too.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 pm

yes, i also have a signature one. upgrading certainly makes it a better instrument
everything calibrated, better aftertouch, more memories, filter slew, slewingrate and even two switches for disabling pwm of osc 2 and/ or 3
it's worth it to my opinion.
you have a cherry , mapple or walnut one ?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:53 am

sunny pedaal wrote:.... and even two switches for disabling pwm of osc 2 and/ or 3
it's.....
????what switches are these?