New To Minimoog Voyagers - Question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Scott Rolf

New To Minimoog Voyagers - Question

Post by Scott Rolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

I've decided to branch out a bit with my recordings and add to my quiver with a Minimoog Voyager.
I love my T3's but need some additional analog synth and my midi keyboard controller using plug-in's just isn't cutting it.
Bottom line is I want that calssic '70's Prog Rock synth sound and I think the Voyager will satisfy that.

My question is, what is the differences between the Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Select Edition in sound?
If you had your choice which would you pick?
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

stiiiiiiive

Re: New To Minimoog Voyagers - Question

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey Scott.

All the Voyagers sound the same. The only possible exception is the OldSchool, but that's still to be proved.
The later as well as the XL will provide you with less (respectively more) modulation and control options though.

Either way, you'll be pleased :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Id get a Voyager that doesn't have the backlighting. I have a Select Series and while it looks awesome, the lighting only lasts for 1000 hours before it needs replacing, and 30 years down the road there is no telling how serviceable this is going to be.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Old School owner here... they have the exact same analog board so anything that contributes to sound will be identical. However, the add of the digital board and possibly, different power requirements MIGHT interject some high frequency noise... but I highly doubt it; no complaints to date.

On the other hand, the earlier versions of the Little Phatty suffered from some high frequency interference caused by a digital pot scanning of the EGR matrix. If it were all analog with hard wired parts, this simply would not have occurred.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 am

I have a Voyager Performer Edition. Very happy with the sound. The previous owner did replace the original wheels with backlit wheels. I haven't noticed any noise added by lights though.

I'd choose the Perfomer over the Select if I had to choose again, for reasons stated already by others.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 am

It sounds like the Performer and Select Series are essentially the same animal with the exception of the backlighting correct?
Take a look at the attached link to Sweetwater here. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoyagerPerf/
This "Free OS Update" they speak of. Is this something special only through them or do all Performers come updated. KInd of confused on that one...
Thanks
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Scott Rolf wrote:It sounds like the Performer and Select Series are essentially the same animal with the exception of the backlighting correct?
Take a look at the attached link to Sweetwater here. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoyagerPerf/
This "Free OS Update" they speak of. Is this something special only through them or do all Performers come updated. KInd of confused on that one...
Thanks
I think "free OS Update" just means they've kept their Voyagers in stock updated to the latest OS so you don't have to do the work. I updated my Voyager to the same OS version (3.5) myself.

Call them if you really want to make sure. Their customer service is pretty good.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Sweetwater is one of the most conscientious retailers in the world. They always make sure that whatever they sell has the latest and greatest OS installed. I haven't heard of many other places that do this. I have a local rep here in Seattle that does this too, though it's rare these days to care so much.

Stephen