Voyager Editor

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jrm1

Voyager Editor

Post by jrm1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 am

I'm having some trouble with the Voyager editor software. When I choose to Rename (under Edit) I don't get a cursor and I don't get to be able to type anywhere. In fact on starting the Editor, the preset title is highlighted in such a way that it looks like it thinks I want to rename already. The graphic display has a dark band above the existing preset name, which looks like it might be a text box; but nothing can be input there. Or anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem?

Mac OS 10.7
OS on Voyager is 3.5 release 02.02.2010
OS of editor is 3.7.0

Mr Shave

Re: Voyager Editor

Post by Mr Shave » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Ahhhh.... I love posts about how crappy the Sound Tower editor is...

Unfortunately, that piece of software is a piece of junk... Not only is it crap, but there is absolutely zero customer support from the vendor. Last time I checked, I had an open ticket with them that was never responded to, despite numerous attempts.

jrm1

Post by jrm1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:46 am

Right, so is there a solution? I mean is there another editor on the market? What do you do/use?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am

Program from the synth. Save and load with Midi-ox. Soundtower is bleep and Moog doesn't care. No one else is bothering to do the work to create an editor/librarian. It isn't like the golden era when there were many companies competing for the market.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

AKMacAddict

Post by AKMacAddict » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Just Me wrote:Program from the synth. Save and load with Midi-ox.
I looked at the site and this is Windows only. Didn't see any screenshots, but is this a program similar to SysEx Librarian? Or, does it allow more control than uploading / downloading entire banks? Thanks!
Voyager (Maple & Jade), CP-251, VX-351, MF-103, MF-104M, MP-201, Little Phatty Stage II, Juno-106, VK-7, DX-7 II-FD, S-80, MS-2000 & MS-2000R, Novation Ultranova, Korg iMS-20, Kaossilator2, miniKaosspad2, Pittsburgh Modular Foundation 2.0

tih

Post by tih » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:51 am

I've got another problem with it: saving a bank to a disk file always saves the contents of bank G, no matter which bank I've selected before saving. Am I doing it wrong, or is the software?

dravis14

Post by dravis14 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:07 am

OK.....so we all agree that the Voyager Editor has a multitude of issues, it doesn't do what they say it would. Isn't that fraud when you make certain claims about your product, and then your product doesn't do what you said it would, after we paid for it? So we're all just hosed on this purchase? Aren't there some options? I mean, do we just live with the fact that we paid $80.00 for nothing? Seems like there would be some kind of consumer advocacy group that would hold these guys liable for misleading consumers......

Synthetically Yours,
Dravis14

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:24 pm

This is an awful slap in the face to Voyager purchasers who literally fork out thousandths of dollars for the product, then to be charged $80 for software that is pretty essential for full use, then the software turns out not to work as promised, then there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE OR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE.

What are they thinking? They're taking advantage of the people who keep the company alive--US!

Bad, bad, bad.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:46 pm

This is on SoundTower, not on Moog. Believe me, Moog is gnashing their teeth right now that they ever heard of the ST guys. I have the same or similar issues with my Kurzweil PC3 SoundTower editor (which was free but that's no excuse...). SoundTower is very unresponsive, slow to implement changes (like several years too slow), and don't ever fix all the bugs that are brought up by disgruntled users.

Stephen

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 pm

If Soundtower is in violation of its agreement with Moog by failing to provide a useable product, Moog has legal remedies they should pursue. Passing the buck is irresponsible, gnashing of teeth is not a viable strategy for ensuring customer satisfaction.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

Solum

Post by Solum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 am

It`s also a problem of Moog and the faults do not only lie at ST. Moog sells this product as an upgrade in order to get full controll of a Voyager. This changes quite a lot and makes ST not just a third party software developer and supplier. I bought the ST VST for the Voyager and was not able to use it, it never worked constantly.
The Editor works far better but also here several parts could be optimized.

sts

Post by sts » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi,

My name is Mark and I am one of the programmers from Soundtower. First of all, I am sorry that some of you experience some problems with the Voyager editor.

Dear jrm1,

To rename the preset in the edit mode, press on the left top side of the screen to rename the two lines of the preset name:

Dear tih,

I just double checked and saving of banks seems to work fine and so does loading them back.
In the Bank/Lib window there are bank saving/loading functions located under the "Banks" window menu.

The bank that is being saved is always the current selected bank. If you select the bank G by pressing the G button then the Bank G will be saved. If you want to save some other banks you need to select them first If you want to load your saved bank back, you will get a window dialog with the list of presets saved in that file. There, you can select the bank where you want to load that bank to and press "Apply" button and close that window. To write the loaded bank to the Voyager, press the "Transmit" button.

Dear Mr Shave

Unfortunately your complaint about our support ticked system is valid. We put this system in place few years ago. It has been deactivated since last spring. Our .info site that was put in place to deal with support issues was extremely hacked by hackers looking for serials for our software and etc. Databases got corrupted and all left to do was to pull the plug on it. We have two people answering support e-mails now. I just checked and our response is pretty good now. We are a small company with limited resources and we are trying to do whatever we can to help musicians.

We provide software support for close to a 100 various synths from many manufactures for over 13 years. We constantly provide updates and support completely free of charge.
The Voyager editor was first prepared 10 years ago and during that time it underwent many changes and additions. Meantime, Windows PC and Mac OS X went from XP to Win 8 and from 10.1 to 10.8 respectively, creating problems for developers along the way. We still kept up with changes and keep improving without asking users to pay for it. I am not trying to excuse things that might have gone wrong here and there. Nothing is perfect and there is always a room for improvement. We are still working on the better solution to provide better support not just by e-mail. If you have any problems please e-mail me directly and I will do my best to help.

Dear Stephen,

Nice to see you again. Few years back you joined beta tester group at K. You reported some bugs. Obviously, some of them were not fixed/addressed to your satisfaction. I do not remember now if this was software or a firmware issue or both at that time. Now you are complaining that we are bad, that took us years to fix it Well, that keyboard is more than two years out of production. There is no obligation on ST side to do anything and yet we worked for free and presented you and other musicians who invested in that keyboard with new updates, free of charge.

I would like to address all issues in this post as hard as it might be without sparking flames. I apologize for not keeping an eye on this forum. It is hard to do it these days with so much of social media around.If you have any problems or issues with the software, please email me directly m a r k @ s o u n d t o w e r . c o m. I will do my best to help

Best,

Mark
Last edited by sts on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 am, edited 13 times in total.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow. That was unexpected. Mark, thank you for your post and offer to help. Very much appreciated by us all, I'm sure. Best regards.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 am

sts wrote:Dear Stephen,

Nice to see you again. Few years back you joined beta tester group at K. You reported some bugs. Obviously, some of them were not fixed/addressed to your satisfaction. I do not remember now if this was software or a firmware issue or both at that time. Now you are complaining that we are bad, that took us years to fix it Well, that keyboard is more than two years out of production. There is no obligation on ST side to do anything and yet we worked for free and presented you and other musicians with new updates free of any charges.

'That keyboard' is still in production. It's called the PC3K.

I just installed a new kitchen for a client. Even though the dishwasher leaks, the cabinets are out of alignment, there are scratches on the countertops, 'I did my job and there's no obligation on my part to fix anything'. Especially because at this point I'd be working for 'free'.

You were paid by Kurzweil to produce a workable editor for the PC3 series. You have not provided anyone with an editor that works well enough to trust. It's your JOB to honor the commitment that you gave both Kurzweil and us (owners). You charge unsuspecting customers good money for the PC3LE series editor. Shame on you.

No one on any of the Kurzweil boards find the editor you made worthy of using to create programs. It is still in Beta form and has been that way ever since it was released. You enter a parameter in one area, go to another area and alter a parameter only to find out that the first parameter has changed. If that's what you call 'some of the bugs were not fixed to my satisfaction'... well I call it seriously buggy software... to the point of being almost unusable. I have been gentle with you guys on the various Kurzweil lists, hoping that you'd respond well if not everyone in the world were calling you out for shoddy work. And you have the nerve now to tell me that the PC3K is not in production, that you have 'no obligation' to fix it, and that you guys are working for 'free' trying to fix it for us anyway. I sent dozens of bug reports in over the years, with only a few of the minor ones dealt with, and only after months and years of patiently reporting. The most egregious of bugs are still mucking up the editor and you sir, have no place complaining about my telling others on this list that you guys have yet to become trustworthy. You want our trust? Fix the editors that you were paid to create in the first place. Stop making s*** up and trying to throw it back on us. Step up to the plate. And no, I'm not calling you 'bad' (that was someone else in this thread), just not a very reliable company (yet).

Just like the editor you made for the Voyager (not for free). You are getting slagged right and left for these two editors as well as most of the other editor products you have made for other companies. Try searching "SoundTower editor" to see your reputation on the Internet. It's all there, the good, bad, and the ugly. Unfortunately for you, it's mostly the second and third.

People are pissed off at you and your non-responsiveness. People are forking out good money for software that doesn't work. I don't know about your line of work but in mine, that would just not fly. A man is only as good as his word. By asking us for money, you are in effect giving us your word that it works. Now you are playing catch-up because your software is rather buggy. Instead of coming on to these lists and whining about how people are slagging you, take a good look in the mirror and decide whether or not you will honor your word.

Whew!

Stephen

sts

Post by sts » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 am

Hi Stephen,

I am sorry, you drawing your conclusions without knowing any facts and you present them in such a way that normally no self-respecting person would want to engage. I am sorry but you know nothing about what you just wrote about. You know nothing about any aspect of the software development and delivery and everything else in this regard for that matter. Just a fact that you writing about the other manufacturer on this forum proves a point. I am sorry but I will not engage. Please stick to the point -what's wrong with the Voyager software? I will help.

But since you want to continue with other stuff... I recall when Roger Linn told me when we worked together on a project, He said, Mark, beware of Beta testers who are offended when they find a bug, you don't want them. I am learning now how right he was. I am sorry but your motivation behind wanting to help became an obsession. I am sorry but you do not know much about K. systems, about the PC3LE and what PC3 and PC3K have in common, you do not know about the complexity and how much work was put there to achieve what is being done so far and please do not mention money. I am sorry that I feel I have to respond to this rant.
There is nothing that we did that could prevent you form making music. If you did not get a grammy award just because you expressed interest in our software - I apologize.