Voyager Editor

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
unfiltered37

Re: Voyager Editor

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Don't get mad at me, but I think that is "preset thinking". Just try to open your mind to this for a second, i am not trying to be right, just helpful. Make it a journey, learn to get to the patch on your own, and get there in a musical way. Gradually morph the basic sound that I referenced in my post into the patch you want. Turning the knobs and getting to where you want to go is amazing, that's what Moogs are all about IMO, and once you get there even better. That is what I meant by "getting back to the knobs", you say it is waste of time, I say that is the best part, the only part really. Plus you will have gotten a step closer to mastering the instrument. If you think you have already mastered the instrument, sorry you are wrong. You may know what everything does, but as I said the combinations are infinite, especially on a voyager.

When we find a patch we like, we form an attachment with it, and we feel we have to go back to it. But if you just let it go, and then maybe later try to come back to it through a different path, you find that there are not only beautiful things along that path, but also that you have have found new ways to improve the original patch.

I understand where you are coming from, and I would be angry too, but that doesn't help anything, trust me. It doesn't get you anywhere, and ends up hurting you and your creativity. I thought one of the benefits of using analog hardware that we don't have to worry about computers and software. The more time you spend worrying about software bugs, the less time you have to explore your amazing beautiful analog synthesizer that is just waiting for you to tweak it.

Sorry if this sounds sanctimonious, but I think it's true.

jamesollor

Post by jamesollor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 am

I have never faced this kind of problem, since you are, I would recommend you to first check your computer settings if they are all set then there is a software problem

Moogus

Post by Moogus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Now have a Voyager :) Yes, yes, happy days etc etc...

Reading this thread about the voyager editor it seems a waste of money buying it if not working properly.

It would have been great as my Anniversary Edition is the 128 presets edition before the stock roll out of the 896 edition. The editor would have been a great idea as I could have stored my presets on computer meaning I there wouldn't be any need to upgrade to digital system 3.0.

So whats the story with the editor ??

M
p.s. I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11 on PowerPC version
A nearly has been...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Moogus wrote:So whats the story with the editor ??
Well the story with the editor is contained within this thread as well as countless others scattered around the Internet.

The general consensus is that it's rather buggy, as is most if not all of their stuff. Moog has stopped using them and have gone in-house with their editors. Mark from SoundTower has a rather dismal view of people who try to help debug his software for him. He has yet to come up with an editor that works well. I still wish the best for him and hold out hope that one day he will get his stuff together and come out with a decent editor. I know he is capable of it... Currently he is taking people's hard earned money and not delivering a solid product.

TBH, the additional presets are nice but not going to stop you from making good music if you don't have them.

Stephen

Moogus

Post by Moogus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Guess definitely will wait then to get an editor, hopefully Amos (the tech whizz) Gaynes has been following and will

eventually redo an in-house Editor/Librarian for the voyager. (Amos ??) :D

In terms of creating good music, no need for the editor to be able to do that, it will be handy to store actual presets when ROM is limited (as in my case to 128 preset banks), so you can call back presets if you overwrite them with your own and then without loss of your newly created ones (as back up will have been created).
The editor idea works great for and with the Sub Phatty (Sub Phattae only has 16 banks).

M
A nearly has been...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm

You can save patches or entire banks without the use of an editor. Use MidiOx to recieve and send the sysex to/from your computer.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

kironmusic

Post by kironmusic » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 am

XL resolved it... :)

Moogus

Post by Moogus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:20 pm

Just Me wrote:You can save patches or entire banks without the use of an editor. Use MidiOx to recieve and send the sysex to/from your computer.
Doh ! :shock:

Of course..! (Slaps forehead!) :lol:
A nearly has been...

enossified

Post by enossified » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 am

I'm getting ready to purchase an RME...I have also had "interesting" experiences with ST editors before for DSI synths, one time losing all my patches :shock:

All I care about is the librarian functions...backing up my own patches. Sysex is a poor workaround as it's much more difficult to audition patches and set up new banks but I'll deal with it if the editor is as bad as people here say.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:11 pm

enossified wrote:All I care about is the librarian functions...backing up my own patches.
Good luck with that...

Stephen