triggering volume envelope with external audio

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
fantastic_apparatus

triggering volume envelope with external audio

Post by fantastic_apparatus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 am

First post, and I don't even have the voyager yet (though it's on the way). In my anticipation I've already made it through the manual once and watched nearly all of the youtube videos related to the voyager.
I've been thinking of all the ways to use it and thought it would be great if I could trigger the volume envelope to cycle with the input of external audio, namely to add some beefy low end to an acoustic kick drum with an oscillator or even add some white noise to a snare or hi hats. changing the shape of the natural envelope would be a nice benefit too, though I can do that now with a drawmer 201-so that feature is not as important to me.
Reading through the manual the volume envelope gate source menu is where this would be if it was possible, I do not see such an option there though.
Thinking it through I guess I could use beat detective (or similar) in the DAW to find where all the hits are and send a midi gate message to trigger the envelopes but I was hoping for an easier way to do this or a way that could be used in a live situation- say running the kick drum through it and having a sample and hold on the oscillator for some random drum and bass fun. a threshold control might be necessary.
Am I missing an easy way to do this in the manual?
If not It seems like this could be implemented in a future firmware update, trigger the envelope whenever the external audio light comes on. I don't think I am the only one who would benefit from this.