I want to make some Gary Numan sounds

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Boeing 737-400

I want to make some Gary Numan sounds

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:07 pm

I just got my Voyager today, and I don't really know where to begin.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:41 am

There IS no good answer to that. Gary used both Minimoogs, Polymoogs, and ARP Odyssey, so the sounds you may be trying might be those other synths. One trick to use is that he ALWAYS had phasers, and used the synths through them. Try it (flanger might work too) and you'll see what it does to the sound.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:11 pm

Thats the problem. I don't even know what I'm doing. Well, I sort of know, but I have no idea what a flanger is. I wonder if I can get one of his MiniMoog patch sheets, and try to use that on my Voyager. The nearest I've got so far is making that sound at the beginning of Kraftwerk's Autobahn.

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:14 pm

For attempting to recreate G.N. MiniMoog sounds you would need to know your Voyager enough to be able to assign all of the "non-MiniMoog" controls, which are available on the Voyager, to 'non-interactive' settings.

If you are not aware of the "differences" between the original Mini and the Voyager then this might well lead to 'unwanted' sound modification if you blindly follow osc/filt/amp settings from such "sheets" (should you find them) that G.N. produced for the Minimoog and attempt to translate them directly to the Voyager.

As for flangers, take one (or more) TDA1022 CCD's, a bit of 'veroboard'........

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:31 pm

I'm truly stuck. I don't know where to begin, but I suppose the first thing is to find out what notes he's using, and then "trial and error"

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:35 pm

While you are getting familiar with your MMV, and gaining more of an understanding of analogue synthesis (including familiarity with the sonic content of basic waveforms and their use as 'starting points' for sound creation) I think you would do well to explore all of the "off-the-shelf" MMV voice sets available from the Moog site.

Find a 'voice' that seems to have the basic characteristics of the sound you are attempting to create (i.e. sounds similar'ish') and then begin to edit the sound using the MMV front panel controls, in a methodical manner, noting how each control/parameter affects the base sound.

I'm suspect that you are already using such an approach to find the sound you're after. It's all part of the learning curve - and it is better to walk first than to run.

Copying someone elses "settings" will only allow you reproduce that sound - it will not impart any understanding of why that particular sound occurs with those particular settings.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:44 am

Hi I just shelled out $40G for a brand new Corvette. I want to drive it like Dale Earnhardt and I have never been behind the wheel of a car, so I have no idea where to begin.

:wink:

MC

Post by MC » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:51 am

OK I'll be nice now.

Here is a good intro on programming analog synthesizers

http://hem.passagen.se/tkolb/art/synth/intro_e.htm

I know a couple others out there but they escape my mind at the moment.