Oberkorn SEQ + Voyager....gate doesn't work for me.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SvK

Oberkorn SEQ + Voyager....gate doesn't work for me.

Post by SvK » Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm

HI all,

Oberkorn SEQ + Voyager....gate out doesn't work for me.

So I can get the 3 CV lanes running. Say Pitch , Filter, Volume
That all works perfectly (as long as i feed a sustained note from keyboard...)

BUT

I want the Oberkorns Gate Out to re-trigger the Envelopes. and that I can not get to work.
Is there something Im misunderstanding here?

On the back of the Voyager, there is an "Env Gate " its blue.
Is that the sucker?

Because that doe not work.

thanks in advance.

best,
SvK

EMwhite

Re: Oberkorn SEQ + Voyager....gate doesn't work for me.

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 12, 2013 5:45 pm

You might try attenuating the Oberkorn's Gate out signal; it's pretty hot (10V) and the typical gate is at most, 5V. Much of the modular gear out there will react as voltage crosses 2V from negative to positive; it's typically a simple comparitor circuit and there have been some designs deemed 'foolproof; capable of acting on triggers, gates of various width, etc. If the gate from Oberkorn is too high, it might do funny things to Voyager (eg not trigger); if the leading edge is not sharp enough you may have a similar issue.

What position is the keyboard gate switch in when you try to run Oberkorn? (should be "ON/External", not in the Keyboard setting)

Something else to try is to see if your Voyager will react to an alternative analog clock source, such as the Voyager's own square wave output from LFO (assuming you have VX-351?)

I have an Old School and can tell you that I had some problems with Gate myself, but since having it re-calibrated, everything now works well. But to answer your question, yes, the Blue jack is the one. Might also ask if there are any settings in the Voyager settings that could be messing with things?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

SvK

Post by SvK » Sun May 19, 2013 1:56 am

EM white thanks for the knowledge!
Keyboard switch is on ON/External. I did use an alternative gate out from my MiniBrute, and it triggers the voyager just fine. It's the Oberkorn. Went to the shop. The gate-output is hosed.

thanks for the assistance.

best,
SvK

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Is it actually hosed, or is the voltage high and Voyager not liking it?

I ask because I just bought an Oberkorn '8' which is going to have primary duties with my SEMs; very eager to see what the gate output looks like out of the box and whether or not it will work straight away with my Old School.

Will let you know either way.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

SvK

Post by SvK » Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Im fairly sure the OberKorn's gate outs are hosed.I purchased, received and installed the VX-351 and rocked the attenuator knobs and it made no difference.

best,
SvK

Ophidean

Post by Ophidean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

I had the same problem but eventually fixed it.

My problem now is that when I switch to external clocking, all I get is a clicking noise from the Voyager pitch. No matter what preset I use, it clicks. If I switch it back to the Oberkorn internal clock it's fine. Anyone have this issue?
GEAR: Voyager select series Maple/Electric blue, CP-251, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, MF101, MF104m (White), MMF108m.