Noise Issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
archer

Noise Issue

Post by archer » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I have a couple questions.

1.) Is it normal to hear a faint background noise when I press a key on my voyager. the noise generator is off, and it can be heard more when the filter isn't all the way open. I hear it through headphones and speakers.

2.) Is it normal to have a crackling sound most of the time when I press a key?

3.) When the noise generator is on, and no other oscillators are turned on, is it normal to hear "notes" being played when the noise volume is turned down? When the volume is turned all the way up, hearing "notes" is near impossible.

Thanks.

dr_floyd

Re: Noise Issue

Post by dr_floyd » Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 am

This was a problem in some early Signature models which Moog eventually corrected. For my particular musical application it made the Voyager unusable for the first year. Moog came up with a fix, I sent it back and it's been beautiful ever since.

archer

Post by archer » Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 am

Are you sure? My model is OS0493. I don't think that'a an early model.

archer

Post by archer » Sun May 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm actually most concerned with the "pop" sound that is made whenever I press a key. It only is apparent when the filter is somewhat closed, when it's all the way open, you can't tell. When it's closed, however, I hear a crackle or a "pop" every time I press a key, even if I press it lightly. Changing to a slower attack doesn't seem to have an effect.

Also, I discovered that the noise is apparent even when I turn off ALL the oscillators AND the noise source. I can still hear a faint noise sound coming from my keyboard when I press a key when everything is off, and it doesn't go away unless I drown it out with sound.

I hope I don't need it to be serviced...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I would at least contact Moog Music via email (or phone) about it, and see what they say ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion