Good CV hardware?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cosmigonical

Good CV hardware?

Post by cosmigonical » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:12 pm

I have an RME, VX-351 and VX-352. What CV hardware do you recommend me to get next, CP-251 / moogerfoogers etc?
Thanks

Portamental

Re: Good CV hardware?

Post by Portamental » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm

CP 251... it duplicates the VX-351 a bit but you can never get enough CV control... The mixer is particularly useful. The lag is very interesting.

I got the MF-104 last for the only reason there was none available until recently, but if I has to build from scratch, the MF-104M would be my first fooger.

Between the both of them, get the delay first.

My two cents.

cosmigonical

Post by cosmigonical » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Portamental wrote:CP 251... it duplicates the VX-351 a bit but you can never get enough CV control... The mixer is particularly useful. The lag is very interesting.

I got the MF-104 last for the only reason there was none available until recently, but if I has to build from scratch, the MF-104M would be my first fooger.

Between the both of them, get the delay first.

My two cents.
OK thanks, I was expecting the CP-251, but not the MF-104. Would you use the MF-104 for CV control rather than audio processing? Similarly what about the ring modulator MF-102, the phaser MF-103 or the freq box MF-107?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 am

It depends on what you want to do.

All the foogers are sound processors, including the MF-104 which has become my favorite. And you get sounds that a modular or semi can hardly deliver.

If you are more into modular and CV's, with a CP-251, you have all that Moog can deliver. Maybe you can look into other manufacturers. An analog sequencer is pretty awesome.

I am not interested in a full modular per se but I have started to add some selected modules to fill gaps. I have midi-to-CV (Doepfer), dual EG (MFB). Next in line will be a pitch/envelope follower and then possibly a waveshaper.

Those are my needs, go along yours.