Voyager digital boards issues

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jupiter

Voyager digital boards issues

Post by jupiter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am

Hi all !

I am considering buying a 3rd hand Voyagel Electric Blue. From what a friend has told me,
they all tend to develop issues with their digital boards... how likely is that to happen ?

Will be thankful for some information about this, and what other issues are known for that model ?

Thanks !

MC

Re: Voyager digital boards issues

Post by MC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 am

This is the largest group of Voyager owners.

The Voyager has been in production for ten years.

I have been a Voyager owner since the first year of production.

This is the first time I have heard of that issue.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:21 pm

The only issues with all Voyagers with a backlit panel is...the backlight longevity. Turning it all the way down, when not needed, is a wise practice to prolong its life.

I've been a member of this forum for about two years now, and the only recurring problems with some Voyagers are from the analog board, not the digital one. In order of most occurrences: dead oscillator, dead envelope, dead filter, dead LFO.

And since thousands and thousands of them have been, and continue to be built, the percentage of failure is most probably very low, all things considered.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

The only thing that I can think of is the digital key scanning board that was a part of a small run of Voyagers that will fail. This issue has been resolved for several years now and though there may still be some out there that haven't yet failed or that may be still sitting in a shop somewhere unsold, all one has to do is contact Moog with your serial number and they can tell you if that board is one of the faulty ones. If it does need to be replaced they will mail you the board and you can install it yourself and return the old one. It happened to me and it was promptly fixed.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jupiter

Post by jupiter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:30 am

What should be the price of that board ?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

jupiter wrote:What should be the price of that board ?
Free ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Yeah that board is free because they know it is faulty. Mine was under warranty at the time but I think that if someone had an old Voyager that had said board that quit all of the sudden they would probably send the replacement board for free because they are good like that. As time moves forward though I think this will eventually be a non-issue as it may already be.

Eric

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:19 pm

I had the digital keyboard scan board go up in one of my Signature edition Voyagers about two years ago. At that time the cost for the board out of warranty was around $35. Maybe that has changed . The design of the newer card is slightly different than the original, there is now a dongle type port on the card and the socket where the cable plugs in has moved from the back to the side. It was a bit tight to get the cable to reach. The one that failed was a later serial number which is about 230 numbers away from the other.

The one that had the problem was built in January 2003 purchased in late2003, the other was built in September of 2002 and purchased in late October 2002

Tech support was great through the whole process

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Ahhh, well mine was free because it was under warranty then, but being a known defect it shouldn't have cost anyone anything. I thought this issue was totally resolved anyway so it's all water under the bridge.

dasystem

Post by dasystem » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:43 am

EricK wrote:Ahhh, well mine was free because it was under warranty then, but being a known defect it shouldn't have cost anyone anything. I thought this issue was totally resolved anyway so it's all water under the bridge.

Not resolved. My digital board just died and they want to charge me over $360 to fix it.