Manfred Mann Sounds - but how?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
taschenmusikant

Manfred Mann Sounds - but how?

Post by taschenmusikant » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:54 pm

I really love those hollow modulation sounds of Manfred Mann as to hear on his famous album "chance", "angel station" and so on.

Because I´m a programmer I dont like to use presets, I have erased all my preset memory.

How do I turn the knobs to get that incredible sound?
Piano & Sound Engines

Howard DJ Howes

Post by Howard DJ Howes » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:52 am

Manfed Mann Sounds
Hi I worked for MM for a while doing live shows At that time he was using a Yamaha VL1 Keyboard midied to a midi retro fiftted Mini Moog, the audio output of the VL1 was Y cabled together with an S1000 Sampler with Mini Moog samples, the sum of the two signals went through the Mini Moog Filters and out of the main output with all other Mini Moog Mixer Inputs off, this sounded outrageous and still allowed him to use his special filter cut off technique that characterises his sound
Dj

taschenmusikant

Post by taschenmusikant » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:50 pm

Howard DJ Howes wrote: this sounded outrageous and still allowed him to use his special filter cut off technique that characterises his sound
Thanks for answering!

So you think his sound is primarly designed by filter cutoff turning?
Ain´t there just more tricks?

I am surprised to hear he is still playing the old mini, because I heard he sold his old gear out to buy a voyager.

And what hell is he doing with minimoog samples when he can have the original?
Piano & Sound Engines

MLM

Re: Manfred Mann Sounds - but how?

Post by MLM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm

The advantage of using Model D samples controlled by the VL1 would be the potential for a polyphonic miniMoog, I would think, plus the advantage of different sounds, kinda a sampled memory! also I believe I read a Keyboard mag interview with Manfred in the 70's where he said he actually used an EML 101 in the studio and the Model D live!
Something else he seemed to do was the old trick of running the output back into the external in and over driving it to create a heavy, nasty sound!
Michael McMillan

till

Post by till » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 am

You see on some concert photos a Oberheim SEM connected to his Minimoog.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

dslocum

Post by dslocum » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:38 pm

I can confirm the MM owned an EML-101, but I don't know if he used in on-stage. He had me do some modifications to it. I can't recall too much after so many years, but I actually added a Moog ladder filter in the blank area around the Sampler knob.

Also, I modified a Minimoog with synth switches & tuning lights, and did a few things to help keep those old oscillator cards more stable for touring. I had to do the same mods to a second Mini. because the first one was stolen shortly before a big US tour.

At the time - early '70s, I was working at a local Radio Shack franchise store here in NJ, and Manfred called me from England in a panic. He told me the first unit got pinched and he needed the second one done ASAP. He arranged with me to fly one of his roadies to NJ with the new Mini. I would have to pull an "all nighter" and work into the morning so the roadie - who slept on our sofa - could take it with him and start the tour.

My girlfriend Linda - later my first wife - cooked us all breakfast, and he was on his way. That was fun! :-) Great memories.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:23 am

That's wild!!