Turning 40 soon

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
analogmadness

Re: Turning 40 soon

Post by analogmadness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

Hey M-prod, are you satisfied with the sound in your room?
Im gonna have to go small to next year, whats the mesurments of the room?
Thanx eneuh voyager al binnen? 8)

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 am

namahshaman wrote:(Edit) M-prod, I also noticed you have one of the Anniversary NL2x models. ME TOO! What's your serial number?
Cool! I will have to get back on that. I won't be home for a few days.

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 am

analogmadness wrote:Hey M-prod, are you satisfied with the sound in your room?
Im gonna have to go small to next year, whats the measurements of the room?
Thanx eneuh voyager al binnen? 8)
Nee nog niet binnen :mrgreen: begin april..

Well i was very satisfied in my former room but this room is fine considering the far from ideal circumstances. This setup helps me tame the bass and since it's a bedroom.. there's a bed in the room that also helps. When i do some (hobby quality) mixing i also open the closet across the room, so the clothes dampen the sound some more. The room is stuffed with crap in general, which also adds to better acoustics :wink: . Not ideal for critical mixing, but I can get a good basis from here and adjust on headphone and other speakers in my house. It's a t shaped room, anywhere from ideal, and the acoustics are quick n dirty and nowhere near ideal for this room so not much of a reference to you. But it was much worse without and I can state that 'throwing around' some panels helps any room. Let me know if you still want the measurements, I'll look it up when I get home.

I got my advice (for the former room) from the very friendly people at GIK acoustics. I sent them a google sketchup of my room and they advised me how to treat it, I would suggest you do the same. They will help you without any certainty of purchase.
And they have a UK distributor nowadays. I had to ship to the Netherlands from the US. I don't know about now, but I could not find an European altnative. Even with shipping it was cheaper to buy GIK.

A quick answer is, treat the corners for bass, the walls and ceiling for reflection (from your speaker to your ears). Keep some reflection for a natural sound. Natural stuff like cupboard, couch and stuff also helps. Symmetry is important. I used to move the panels around a lot for recordings too. The GIK panels hang like a painting so I could put 3 on a chair for a singer e.g.. Goof luck

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Thank you verry much for that info Mprod, gonna contact those guys as soon as the room is ready.

Moog on 8)

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 pm

namahshaman wrote:
(Edit) M-prod, I also noticed you have one of the Anniversary NL2x models. ME TOO! What's your serial number?
As promised

NG1 245 what's yours?

Funny detail is I bought it of a guy that sold his Voyager.

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 am

Late but still... -edit I cannot post pics because of attachment quota? -
It has grown on me. It's more flexible then I thought and you can layer it almost infinitely in a mix.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Nice tight setup; the acoustic treatment is sometime as expensive as gear!

How do you like that T.E. OP-1? Use it much?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Congrats! There seem to be quite a few of us who've given ourselves a Voyager as "a present". For me it was similar, not a particular age but getting older and a promotion. I finally thought "I was worth it".
M-Prod wrote:
First thing i'll do is backup and clear the presets. Start with an empty slate.
Actually, I quite enjoyed browsing through presets to see what it could do. And the ones I liked I saved in tje last bank to have different starting points or educational stepping stones, putting all knobs and swithces as they are in the preset, learn and tweak from there.

Oh, and about Voyager-videos. I wished there would've been more of ones where someones playing and tweking instead of talking. But I guess those people make music instead of videos. He he.
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

M-Prod

Post by M-Prod » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:14 am

EMwhite wrote:
How do you like that T.E. OP-1? Use it much?
It's an amazing product and unique design in many ways (that's why i bought it in the first place), but I don't use it much anymore. I had great fun and it really inspired me to make very different music for a while, but when i make songs I tend to use the moog, maschine and vst's more. I mostly use it as a controller. It's great fun when sampling stuff and make some tunes on the go, but since I am not able (read: doesn't fit my flow/music) to finish anything on it, nor continue what i started on the OP-1 in my daw,I lost the motiviation. Besides, one some headphones it's really noisy and that bothers me. I tried the sequencers with other gear like the moog and that's fun, but a little too cumbersome to be inspirational in the flow of making music. I thought i'd give it another chance to see if it's gritty digital sounding synths might have a place in my music and if not i think i will part of it and buy a small controller. I realize you have to go through some gear to know what clicks with you.

still can't upload pics. I've seen others with this problem. Is there a solution?