Voyager + Patchbay

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
krismiller1982

Voyager + Patchbay

Post by krismiller1982 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 am

I'm trying to connect my Voyager PE to a patchbay. I'm aware several of the inputs on the back disconnect certain sources - like the LFO when a jack is plugged into them. Other jacks have me confused also when connecting to a patchbay, like the Mixer Out/Filter In. Does anybody know how to patch an entire Voyager PE to a patchbay? If I need to make dummy plugs, does anybody know how to solder them for the corresponding rear jacks? I'd like the Voyager to function when plugged entirely into the patchbay as if nothing was plugged into the rear jacks.... Thanks for anybodys help in advance.

Vsyevolod

Re: Voyager + Patchbay

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Just buy a VX-351. With the 25 pin cord, you'll save a ton on patchcords.

Stephen

krismiller1982

Post by krismiller1982 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Already have one & 2 CP-251's. The 351 provides outputs, not inputs... Hopefully somebody can provide an answer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

yesman

Post by yesman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 am

Hey Krismiller1982,
I've set-up a TS patchbay for my Voyager and Moogerfoogers and am in the process right now of assembling some Blacet Research modules. Most of the Voyager inputs can be plugged into and brought out to a patchbay without changing the V's configuration.
This is a short list of the points that need a CV or signal to allow the V to function in it's default configuration. A read through the manual will give you the details for each sections inputs.
VOLUME - this needs a +5v CV. With no jack in the input +5V is normalled to the input, this opens the signal output VCA. With a jack in the input the normalled connection is broken and there will be no CV at the input - and therefore no output signal - until CV is applied to this point.
S&H IN - plugging into this point breaks the normalled connection to the Noise Source as the input, you can take the noise out on the VX and plug that into this to restore the standard input.
MOD 1 & 2 - have a normalled +5v
MIXER OUT/FILTER IN - I use a TRS insert cable and go to two points on the bay. The MIXER OUT point is normalled at the bay so I have two outs on the bay, one goes to patch points for the the FILTER IN and the second to the EXT IN for the overdrive trick.
This is off the top for an initial set-up. Hope this helps.

krismiller1982

Post by krismiller1982 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

The Sample & Hold IN & GATE dummy plug didnt work. I tried all configurations of soldering the trs dummy plug. Any more ideas how I can get the Voyager to function like normal when every CV input jack is plugged into a patchbay?

PS/ I initially plugged the dummy directly into the voyager to test if they worked for the CV inputs. All worked except for the S&H section.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:49 am

You probably have to make a normalled connection between the S&H Gate and the square wave LFO. Hope that helps!

Something else to take note of is that the red nut expression inputs all have a buffered +5 V supply. This way you can combine TS and TRS cables (the former will short out the supply) and still use expression pedals. The old 'foogers didn't buffer the +5 V sources and so you would have to use all TRS cables or else no expression pedals.

This isn't so important for your use case as you are presumably using individual TRS cables. I once considered making a simple breakout cable (DB-25) but in fact there aren't enough conductors to take care of all of everything! And a +5 V buss is perhaps a bit risky in terms of current draw.

I opted against patching up the back of the Voyager in the end.

krismiller1982

Post by krismiller1982 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Sorry for bothering you again. But how can I normal the square LFO to the S&H Gate at the patchbay without having to use the VX-351 or cables plugged into the front of the bay? Again, I apologize for my lack of wiring knowledge.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:30 am

No, you will need to re-wire the connection with the VX-351 or make an internal modification.