Voyager and Guitars

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
archer

Voyager and Guitars

Post by archer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Have a question...

Since I am able to plug other synths into my Voyager and take advantage of the Voyager's filter, could I plug my guitar into the Voyager and do the same thing? I don't want to try it out and end up frying something inside my unit in case this can't be done.

Ideally, I would like to make my guitar sound more like a Bass by utilizing the filter. I know this may be heresy to some, but I record all the bass parts in my songs either with my guitar or with my Voyager itself. And I'd like to keep it this way, but getting my guitar to sound more like a bass would just be another option.

tommyecho

Re: Voyager and Guitars

Post by tommyecho » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 am

yes, any audio can be run into the external audio in of the voyager, which allows you to process it with the filters, envelopes, etc.

one thing to keep in mind: while this will produce some great sounds, you won't be able to add any low frequencies that don't already exist in the original signal.

have fun!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 am

Definitely a good idea: experiment and build your own sound.

Another technic detail: the signal an electric guitar outputs is quite lower than the one from a synth. You may need some kind of preamping.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm

I hope this doesn't seem gratuitous, but this song uses 5 or 6 tracks that are all made from me running the basic guitar track (that you hear at the beginning) through the voyager's filters, which are modulated by LFOs and such. Basically, everything you hear, besides the opening synth drone (which is a Prophet 8) and the drums, is coming from these tracks: lots of various rhythms in the low end and also some high end stuff. Just thought I'd post it in this thread for an example of how the voyager can be a fruitful ground for manipulating guitar tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyecho/father-sonhomework2
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 pm

I thought there's a switch you have to flip so that you don't need to play the keyboard to trigger the filter? Otherwise, he'd have to play guitar with one hand and hit the keys with the other?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Absolutely. The switch is "Keyboard/gate" IIRC.