Random feature on Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Nomatisan

Random feature on Voyager?

Post by Nomatisan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:56 am

I used to have a Waldorf micro-Q and one of the most cool and inspiring features was the random function. Using that, all parameters of a program were set randomly which could (1 or 2 times out of 10) give interesting and usable results. Very useful when I was stuck or just needed a new sound.

It would be a nice feature on the Voyager, I think. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Martin
NOMATISAN
http://www.nomatisan.com
Gear list: Moog Minimoog Voyager XL, Analogue Solutions Telemark, Doepfer A-100, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Vermona Piano-Strings, Novation Bass Station Rack, NI Maschine, Yamaha A-3000

tommyecho

Re: Random feature on Voyager?

Post by tommyecho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

Though it might be a more elaborate solution than you're looking for, max for live, which comes with Live 9, allows you to do this: you use a max for live device that represents all the voyager parameters (there is one available at www.maxforlive.com), then use a randomizing device. . .
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Nomatisan

Post by Nomatisan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 am

Yes, that's one way to do it. Never really liked Live as a production tool. I use Logic and ProTools.
Thanks for the tip anyway!

Cheers,
Martin
NOMATISAN
http://www.nomatisan.com
Gear list: Moog Minimoog Voyager XL, Analogue Solutions Telemark, Doepfer A-100, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Vermona Piano-Strings, Novation Bass Station Rack, NI Maschine, Yamaha A-3000

Themaktima

Post by Themaktima » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:59 pm

The Soundtower Editor has a function to create random sounds, but you can also morph between sounds or create new ones using an algorithm that lets you choose two sounds as "mother" and "father" and mutate. The results I get are surprising, yet in many cases usable or musical in some strange way. Especially because you don´t get only one sound, but a whole series of subsequent mutations you can flip through to find the one closest to the new sound you imagined. To be honest, the Soundtower Editor is dissed in many forums, but this is one peculiar feature I really like.