The new moog Sub Phatty ??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thealien666

Re: The new moog Sub Phatty ??

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Slabwax, listen to the video carefully, you'll noticed that Dan says that the added features, such as filter poles selection, are accessed via a combination of the patch buttons on the left (much like he demonstrates later on with the pitch bend range selection).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm

thealien666

I did hear that But I wasn't sure I was in fact Not just hearing what I wanted to hear. So now all it need is cv outs

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 pm

n2design wrote:Alien is pretty much spot on. The only reason I didn't return mine is because I like the sequencer, and the ability to sequence CV.
But if the overall user interface is as bad as he says, the sequencer should also be unusable because so much of the UI is dedicated to that sequencer - so I suspect you and he differ on that point. ;)

For every Alien that the Sonic State video turned off the A4, that same video probably attracted 5 new customers. 8)

n2design

Post by n2design » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 am

messing around with the paremters isn't too bad but recalling patterns, and some of the copy/paste/clear stuff is messed up. Chaining and song mode is kind of jacked, and they have functions that shouldn't be used right out in the open.

Like the calibration setting that is under the global tune setting. You would think from its location that it should be executed when you change global hz/tuning. I guess this is a big NO NO, and should only be done when elektron support tells you to do it.

I've yet to be able to recall songs the way that they were put together due to the way sounds/kits/patterns/tracks/chain/song all works in some kind of tandem that I have yet to wrap my head around.

Editing sounds and parameter locking is pretty straight forward though.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Admittedly, the happiest A4 customers seem to be those with previous experience with Elektron grooveboxes and/or those with the background in XOX style sequencing.

Some of them talk about button combos the way kids used to talk about button combos for martial arts moves in fighting video games like Mortal Kombat and Tekken, lol.

n2design

Post by n2design » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 am

GovernorSilver wrote:Admittedly, the happiest A4 customers seem to be those with previous experience with Elektron grooveboxes and/or those with the background in XOX style sequencing.

Some of them talk about button combos the way kids used to talk about button combos for martial arts moves in fighting video games like Mortal Kombat and Tekken, lol.

Hahaha indeed,

I remember the Nintendo contra hack. up up down down left right left right.

The only thing I don't think they will be able to fix for me is the mono outs for each track. Who know, perhaps its possible to firmware the external ins, fixed to external outs.

for 1k its still an incredible buy. I just paid 883 for two cavities, gonna have to start going commando on the old lady and put down those dif flavored candy canes.

weemac

Post by weemac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am

I just watched to the sweetwarter vid....

I'm in! (when I can scrounge the funds)

I hope they have a Wood Side option for them (or I'm going to have to make them myself)

It has all of the important Moog sounds in there and easier to get at than the original Phatty. I loved the sound of the original phatty but it reminded me of trying to program a Casio Cz5000 (very underrated soundwise) and I would fall back to using a Minikorg when going for basic sounds.
I'm currently Moogless and pining for a Voyager OS but the Sub Phatty ticks most of the boxes at 1/3 of the price. I'll just have to connect it to my master keyboard and relearn how to do all of that midi stuff

Eden.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 am

thealien666 wrote:Stiiiiiiive, have you seen the interview/demo by SonicState ? If so, have you noticed the infinite and complex moves done by Jenk, of Elektron, to adjust the parameters ? Not to mention the constant pushing of the encoders to switch from pages to pages in the 2 lines menus !

Encoders, too close together, that you need to touch repeatedly 10 times over to go from one end to the other of the range of a parameter ? What the hell was that ? Didn't Elektron ever heard of progressive acceleration of encoders ?

Jenk looked like a madman trying to change things in real time with those encoders... He made more noise with the plastic knobs and switches than the synth itself ! :lol:

Here's the link to that video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1NiOaWIHU
Alain, I haven't seen that particular video, no. I'm basing on experience rather than vids here. Here's what I say.

Elektron is known for designing nice, live oriented user interfaces. And apart of what they are known for, I'm a long (enthusiastic) user, hence having experienced that for years now.
That being said, it's a matter of sensitivity: some just don't click with such or such intrument. May be you would not with this particular ones. And as someone said, the users that have a previous experience on Elektron seem delighted. I must admit I may feel excited by the A4 because I'm amongst those.

About the vid, it's also important to know that Cenk is quite an Elektron virtuoso; I mean he's amongst those enthustiats which vids are quoted as examples amongst the community. He often improvises hence the many touches, and, as a "virtuoso", the way he manipulates the instrments can seem complex. On my Machine Drum, I can go from 0 to 127 with one knob touch, two if I slip. The two-speed potentiometers are quite cool, except they Elektron should offer the possibility somehow to set the speed of both clicked and unclicked moves.
BTW I met Jon and Cenk in Paris three years ago for a demo of the then recent Octatrack. To me, this one is more suffering of the many keys combinations way more than -say- a Machine Drum.
Finally I remember my story with the Phatty. When it came out I was like "Meh?? 4 knobs?? Moog ??? Come on…". Three years ago, I touched one in a store, casually: "Mmm… not so bad, funny despite the 4 knobs…" Two years ago I bought one.

So in the end of the day, I insist: if you have the opportunity of trying a A4, or even a Machine Drum -which have the most immediate interfaces- go ahead: I would be interested in whatever good or bad you felt playing it :)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 pm

n2design wrote:
I remember the Nintendo contra hack. up up down down left right left right.

How cool would that be to put a secret button combo on the sub phatty to unlock a feature. Cheesy, but cool nonetheless.