Moog whitewash wood question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
skylab001

Moog whitewash wood question

Post by skylab001 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 am

Does anybody know what type of wood the whitewash cabinets are made from? I am considering building a rack to match my lunar whitewash and would like it to match.

Kenneth

Re: Moog whitewash wood question

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 am

Hmmm. Beach? Just a guess.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Hmmm... same as the Fooger end caps, I think. At least looking at the grain it seems Beechwood. Similar to Oak in grain and color (light red)

I had a custom Walking Stick ribbon controller made in whitewash and the guy did a really good job matching the color. He gave me the 'procedure' used (type of paint/stain, etc.) I'll dig it out and mail it to you if you are interested. Interestingly, he used poplar and it still looks good. Poplar and maple have a somewhat tighter looking grain but since the whitewashing is opaque, you really can't go wrong, depending of course how 'pink' looking your Voyager is and that will vary based on the actual wood.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

miditerranean

Post by miditerranean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 pm

The whitewashed wood on my Old School is Ash if I'm not mistaken.

skylab001

Post by skylab001 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah I thought it was similar in grain structure to oak, but it isn't exact, so maybe beechwood, but I had heard of some whitewash ash cabinets being around. I have no clue what ash's grain looks like though and the picture I saw didn't look right.

chromium

Post by chromium » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Not sure on the wood type, but you could probably get away with any of those wood options. I wouldn't use oak, though - very dense/heavy and would require some pore filling. I built my first tiny MU modular cabinet out of oak- a mere 8 spaces wide, and weighs a ton!

I used poplar for those ribbon controllers that EMWhite mentioned because of the tight grain (didn't require pore filling), the poplar grain patterns would usually look at home with ash (or whatever the new Moog's are constructed of), it was easily accessible, easy to route, but still hard enough to still resist dings reasonably well. Some poplar is greenish in color, but I leveraged the sun (have an abundance of that here in Arizona!) to bleach it out to a more neutral hue when needed. I used beech initially, and it was dense, heavy, and durable... but it was much more difficult to route and shape.

For the whitewash finish, I was using an oil based stain from Ace hardware called "Pickling White" (Ace #1996776), wiping it on to suit (in my case, using a photo of a whitewash Voyager as reference), and then I would spray several coats of clear acrylic lacquer over it (Deft satin). After it dried, I'd knock the burrs off with #0000 steel wool, and buff it out with some polishing compound if desired (gives it a bit of a semi-gloss sheen).
Regards,
Joe

astricii

Post by astricii » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 am

Dudes it says on the site, whitewash ash and black ash. so both the white and blacks are made of ash :)