Minimoog Voyager vs Voyager RME + VX-352 + Akai Max49

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
CarlRoda

Minimoog Voyager vs Voyager RME + VX-352 + Akai Max49

Post by CarlRoda » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi there!

I hope you can help me with this doubt!

I'm looking forward to buy tomorrow a Moog Voyager , but i have a question, i'm not sure if buying Moog Voyager RME + VX-352 + Akai Max49 (i need a new keyboard) or in stead just buy the Minimoog Voyager with the keyboard?

I need a keyboard in my studio desktop, and what i don't know which of these 2 options will it be more useful, Akai Max49 has got an arpegiator + cv control with pads and nice keys.

In the other side it is the full pack in one piece + Assignable X/Y/A Touch Control Interface that has got this one, i have never tried the keys of a moog so i don't really know if they will be as cool as the akai plus the issue of space in a future on my desktop for all the hardware.

Then i hope all minimoog and voyager RME owners can give me a tip.. at the moment i only own from moog the minitaur which i love....

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

Cheers,
Carl.

CarlRoda

Re: Minimoog Voyager vs Voyager RME + VX-352 + Akai Max49

Post by CarlRoda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Finally ... Moog Voyager Fire Mahogany on the way... i can't wait to have the beast in here!!!

CarlRoda

Post by CarlRoda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:54 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Coooooool 8)
Yeah!!!! ;)

Solum

Post by Solum » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am

I believe you made the right decision. I was also stuck between buying the RME or a full Voyager and finally went for the full option and am very happy I went this way.
The keyboard version is just sexy and very useful. The price differnce between the two is also quite small.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

What they said

I was stuck in a smilar (but with less of a wallet) and was going to buy an RME (only) or an Old School, I went with the latter.

Voyager has a really nice keyboard with nice aftertouch, not that Max49 doesn't feel good. But you can always add the mother of all arpeggiators later and the Max only has a few more keys so you are not giving up much.

Rack mounted synths have no soul, grab a bargain on a Voyager while you can, it's a piece of furniture for crying out loud...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 pm

As yet another Voyager owner, I agree about the advantage of having a keyboard unit - the keyboard plus all the knobs and touchplate all in one unit is, for me, a huge plus over using an external keyboard with a Voyager RME, which does not come with a touchplate. I also agree the Voyager keyboard has a premium feel, though the aftertouch response may depend on if the unit you purchase has the aftertouch upgrade.

I guess your final decision may depend on how you want to use the Voyager. If you want to primarily play the Voyager manually as an instrument with occasional sequencer/arpeggiator input, the all-in-one keyboard with touchpad is probably the way to go. If on the other hand you will be primarily twisting knobs on the Voyager while a sequencer/arpeggiator triggers it, then maybe the RME + Max 49 might be the better solution.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Not to be original, I add a voice for the great Voyager keyboard feel, as well as the fact having a real complete instrument is much, much sexier to me as a live keyboard player.

CarlRoda

Post by CarlRoda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi there!

thanks for your opinion, and yes i guess i choose the right option, i'm still waiting for my voyager to come, monday will be the day finally!!!

When i touch that beautiful keys i will let you know what i think, but i can imagine i will fall in love with this piece of pure sex, hehehe :lol:

So yes, i guess if you can afford the best option will be to have the all in one with the touch panel and i hope my voyager comes with the aftertouch keys already, i didn't know this was not in all of them, my voyager is from December'12 so i hope it does.

Thanks again, and happy new year! ;)

CarlRoda

Post by CarlRoda » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 am

So here it is my beauty ... Image I`m LOVING IT!!!! :shock:

psr

Post by psr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:38 pm

CarlRoda
That is a really nice Voyager you have there. I have a slim. and have been tossing between voyager or sub phatty because I want another moog. truth be told i'd prefer a voyager for a number of reasons. Literally almost pulled the trigger on one just last night on ebay. decided it felt too impulsive (late night ebay buys - just seem a bit impulsive to me)... But seeing yours and considering the touch plate and the warm sound and the fact that I believe I can poly chain the slim to it (if i've read correctly) makes up my mind. But I think I'll wait until after NAMM2014.

but just to say it again. your Moog Voyager Fire Mahogany is hot.
The intersection where HipHop & Technology meet!
http://www/Bboytechreport.com

Moog - Rhodes - Linn - Jobs
Slim Phatty | MK I | MPC | iOS