Voyager Update

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Mark Cocking

Voyager Update

Post by Mark Cocking » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:49 pm

Can anybody please help me. I have just tried my first update. Having just got access to a computer I downloaded the Sysex and Boot files from Moog and, using MidiOx, tried to update my Voyager from Version 1.0 to version 1.5. I set the voyager up to receive the update as required by first confirming the deletion of the current OS. The 'progress bar' loaded up but stopped at around 80%, at which point a message came up on the computer saying that the data was being transferred..wait until complete.
The problem is that it never went beyond where it stopped (at least, I waited 5 minutes or so. This was tried many times but it never got beyond that point. The funny thing is that, when I finally gave up, the Voyager still played using OS 1.0. I thought this was deleted when I OK'd the update.
Any thoughts or suggestions. I must confess to being a computer idiot, but this seemed simple enough. I know that I have to load Sysex first, then the Boot file, but never got as far as the boot file.
Help!! Please!! My beatiful Voyager needs these updates as I'm tired of pressing the program no. key over and over again to get to where I want to go.
Love On Ya all Moog Lovers.
Ged
Ged

Mikmonte

Post by Mikmonte » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:20 pm

Hi Mark,
I updated my Voyager using "mid" files and a sequencer (Logic) with no problems.
Try this way.
Regards
M.M.

FrankB

OS update using MIDI-OX

Post by FrankB » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:34 am

Hi Mark,

please read the comments of the topic "Best software for performing OS updates?" too.

This topic was last answered at Jul 30, 2003 and contains some usefull hints.

Regards
Frank

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:45 am

I had the same problem, trying to update a buddy's Voyager via Tascam FW1884.

To me, it seems that the problem comes with new, supa-speedy MIDI interfaces. I replaced the "state-of-the-art" MIDI interface with the El Cheapo built-in interface of an M-Audio Oxygen 8, and had no problems.

Ideally, you'd find a local Voyager owner to swap OSs with but, failing that, you can try again with deliberately slow hardware.

Bad results with Pro Tools via Digi002, Bad results via Cubase and Nuendo via Tascam FW-1884, good results from Cubase demo via Midiman P.O.S. cheap interface.

This was also the case when upgrading my Access Virus B (and my buddy's Access Indigo), so I don't think it's a problem unique to the Voyager.

Try it on a slow, old system with slow, old hardware, if you've got such available. Successful for me, at least.

-Hoax

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:55 pm

Straying a little from the topic, I am interested to hear more about the Tascam 1884. They look severely cool. The price point for such an item is quite low however, and I have read in other reviews that the MIDI on them is found by some to be lacking. Wonder if its just the 1884 causing the trouble.

About the best way to transfer, I have had no problems using the MIDI-OX utility recommended by Moog and the sysex files. Works everytime!

Kcv

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:49 pm

Well, the 1884 works well, with Nuendo, at least, when it IS working. Maybe it's just the state of the drivers as it was installed (v1.0), but the one I've got experience with stops working all the time, and requires revisiting its Control Panel to reset preferences. Even then, you still may have to change your preferences within your recording app.

At the very first, I hated it because it's so god-awful ugly. Then, using reason, I overcame my objections and gave it a chance. I thought it was pretty cool for a week or two. Then I saw what happens to it every so often.

I'm a Mac guy (well, my wife built me a PeeCee a while back, but I still think like a Mac guy), so all this "well, of COURSE you need to re-install, reset preferences, etc. every so often" mindset doesn't sit well with me. I mean, shouldn't well-designed software examine itself and see if it's broken? Or at least check to see that what it's doing is still valid. Especially when said software's sole purpose is to control and communicate with a single piece of hardware.

So... The 1884 is OK. Me, I'm hoping Yamaha is watching all this and fixing the O1X -BEFORE it's released.

-Hoax