Anyone using analog sequencers?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EMwhite

Re: Anyone using analog sequencers?

Post by EMwhite » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 am

The other really hot sequencer is Cirklon (http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm). It's has the option for extensive analog CV output but it's interface is pretty hi tech digital. Don't watch the videos becuase you will want that too. It's not cheap and is made to order in batches but the folks that have it really like it, even analog synth buffs.

I really want Archangel, if not for giant array of steps and for the touchplates. So tempted I might dump some other gear just to snag one, but I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to buying things that cost between $18000-$2000 that have LEDs and knobs.

If you really really want one, you should reach out to D3 immediatly because there are only a limited # being made (and along long long long wait for the project to come this far).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

n2design

Post by n2design » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 pm

EMwhite wrote:The other really hot sequencer is Cirklon (http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm). It's has the option for extensive analog CV output but it's interface is pretty hi tech digital. Don't watch the videos becuase you will want that too. It's not cheap and is made to order in batches but the folks that have it really like it, even analog synth buffs.

I really want Archangel, if not for giant array of steps and for the touchplates. So tempted I might dump some other gear just to snag one, but I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to buying things that cost between $18000-$2000 that have LEDs and knobs.

If you really really want one, you should reach out to D3 immediatly because there are only a limited # being made (and along long long long wait for the project to come this far).
YIKES, yeah I contacted the developer and found out the price. When I said money was not an issue that was a little hasty. I had no idea sequencers could climb that high in price!!

I already am a little stretched out because I'm on the wait list for a Dewanatron Swarmatron, and i was planning on getting the oberheim 2 voice once my tax refund arrives.

So I guess I just need to decide what I want more. The archangel or the oberheim. I'm leaning towards the sequencer cause I already have some stuff that overlaps the oberheim(my voyager).

Also If I get the sequencer its about 1500 less which means I could potentially get a used rackmount voyager giving me the two voices and the sequencer which is what I liked most about the oberheim 2 voice(other than it's tone).

Outside of any of my points above does anyone here favor the oberheim tone over the moog tone? I kind of do, but it's purely from youtube and no real hands on exp. Also, I never plan on parting with any of my moog gear so can't use any of that liquidity for any of the purchases above.

Think I need to start going to AA, this gear lust is serious, I'm too old to not have a savings account.

n2design

Post by n2design » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

regarding the Cirklon, that seems to be quite abit more sophisticated than the analog sequencers Ive researched. Think I would rather just stay in the daw for those tasks. Perhaps Im missing something intuitive about that device, but that was my first impression.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 am

(Cirklon) yeah. I used to have a Roland MSQ-100 (dating myself now) and it was very useful, just a few buttons, one big knob. Cirklon is the complete opposite; very complex and very expensive, of course if you are Stateside, even more so due to dollar vs. GBP weakness not to mention shipping. And the analog capability comes at additional expense. You can spend your entire life mastering it, but like you said, plenty of capable software out there.

To answer your question on sound, if pressed to choose, I prefer the SEM sound to the Moog sound; maybe because I no longer have my SEM and miss it (look at my gear list below, it's all Moog all the time). But like you, I'm on the pre-order list for a new 2-voice from Tom. So I'm going to sell my LP Tribute once (if) the 2-voice arrives. (there is a chance that Tom won't deliver, unfortunately. Fingers crossed)

Many synth manufacturers try to emulate the Moog filter, etc. and some come close to modeling the sound. But nobody gets anywhere close to the SEM sound. The SEM excels at lush pads, drones with plenty of movement, and in simplicity of a perfectly balanced unit. The bad news is that Moog gear on the re-sale market doesn't get much; quite different from what I thought when I got into this. But I'm not in it for the money and have no delusions that I'll even break even.

But if you can only have one, or if you could have one + a few pieces of subordinate gear, you'll have a hard time arguing with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs
..and watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yFMbd1L ... ults_video
...and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF0i2saxjc

If you are definitely going to pickup a 2-voice, consider that your sequencer for now; based on what I've read you can do 2 x 16 steps simultaneously; If you are unsure or if Tom packs it in before delivering, you can get Archangel and two SEM Patch panels for about the same amount of money. You just won't be able to play the SEMs duophonically without other gear. And you can always grab a Slim Phatty and/or Minitaur for the full range of Moog leads and bass.

Life is good!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

n2design

Post by n2design » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 am

Many Many thanks for your frank thoughts on the gear in question. I felt a little peculiar bringing up the oberheim gear in a moog forum, but it's nice to know folks here are simply into making music and it 's not a democrats vs republicans turkish chicken.

Damn, and like I said the oberheim sounds so f'n good!! Those uTubes just ended it for me. Its going to be the 2 voice, which comes with a seq, and the Dewanatron Swarmatron.

That archangel was calling my name, perhaps it will find a way to land near me irregardless.

I hate to subject myself, but perhaps its time I get a part time job applying lotion to super models.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 pm

I might get an Elektron Analog Four. It depends on how I much I like my Octatrack's sequencer (MIDI) as I dig deeper into it. The Analog Four's sequencer sounds like it has a lot in common with the Octatrack's, except the MIDI output is much more limited, and it's designed primarily for outputting CV.

At about $1200, Analog Four gets you a 4 voice analog synth (currently implemented as 4 monosynths rather than one 4-voice poly synth) and sequencer with 4 CV outs - 4 synth tracks plus 1 FX track plus 1 CV-only track.

n2design

Post by n2design » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I might get an Elektron Analog Four. It depends on how I much I like my Octatrack's sequencer (MIDI) as I dig deeper into it. The Analog Four's sequencer sounds like it has a lot in common with the Octatrack's, except the MIDI output is much more limited, and it's designed primarily for outputting CV.

At about $1200, Analog Four gets you a 4 voice analog synth (currently implemented as 4 monosynths rather than one 4-voice poly synth) and sequencer with 4 CV outs - 4 synth tracks plus 1 FX track plus 1 CV-only track.
Im a little confused about the CV outs. I see two jacks, so are these like stereo cv outs or something?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 am

From a CV implementation perspective, it's pretty full featured, actually. Refreshing as compared to some of the other recent CV devices such as the Max 49 keyboard (more on that in a moment).

The Analog Four has two jacks, one for A and B, and the other for C and D. It uses a TRS cable (Tip, Ring and Sleeve. Sleeve is ground as per usual, Tip is "A" and Ring is "B" or vica versa. Same for the C/D jack.

And then via software pages, you can configure each of the tracks A,B,C,D to output either a Pitch CV for volt/Octave, or a Gate, or a Trig, or a free setting if wanting to control other Analog device.

Check page 38 here: http://www.elektron.se/sites/default/fi ... OS1.00.pdf

As for the Max 49; completely unrelated but it's a bit of a disappointment (to me). I messed with one in Sam Ash in NYC last week and the keybed feels very very nice; the case has a nice weight to it and the touch siders really nice also. But CV out? Only pitch and gate an that's a major bummer. I would have expected them to bring out Velocity and Channel pressure, maybe Mod wheel setting. Many Midi to CV modules provide this basic functionality in addition to midi clock -> gate. There is speculation out there that AKAI will release a more full featured CV implementation on a Max 61, possibly NAMM 2013. I couldn't find anything around about it but my fingers are crossed.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm

EMWhite beat me to answer the question about the Analog Four CV outs. 8)

From a pure sequencing perspective, the one thing the Analog Four won't give you is the ability to affect its behavior through CV inputs, because it doesn't have any. Because of that, modular synth owners who are buying the Analog Four aren't dumping their modular sequencers like the Make Noise Rene, STG modules, and the ones mentioned here. They like the A4 for song-oriented sequencing, though it does have a Performance Mode for improvised jamming, which looks pretty powerful in its own right. But they keep around the modular sequencers for the more out-of-this-world generative sounds that modulars are known for.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am

I've been reading up on Voyager CV interfacing with non-Moog gear. Apparently you might get a different pitch from what you expected because the Voyager uses 0.93 V/octave in its CV jacks.

n2design

Post by n2design » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I've been reading up on Voyager CV interfacing with non-Moog gear. Apparently you might get a different pitch from what you expected because the Voyager uses 0.93 V/octave in its CV jacks.

Yeah, it def doesn't line up to my other analog synths. Not sure why moog did that.

On a side note, seems like every piece of gear that I want has long waiting lists, or is way beyond targeted release dates.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm

n2design wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:I've been reading up on Voyager CV interfacing with non-Moog gear. Apparently you might get a different pitch from what you expected because the Voyager uses 0.93 V/octave in its CV jacks.

Yeah, it def doesn't line up to my other analog synths. Not sure why moog did that.

On a side note, seems like every piece of gear that I want has long waiting lists, or is way beyond targeted release dates.
I took a look at the Elektron Analog Four manual and it looks like it has comprehensive programmability to ensure that appropriate voltage levels are sent to the Voyager or even older Moog gear. There are other sequencers of course, and I'd love to get one of Make Noise's new travel-size modulars that includes sequencing, but the A4 looks like the more sensible purchase for me in the near future. Here's the relevant section of the manual:

TYPE selects the type of signal that should be sent from the output. PITCH V/OCT, PITCH
HZ/V, VALUE LIN, TRIG GATE and CLOCK settings can be made.
• GROUNDED turns the CV output off.
• PITCH V/OCT should be chosen for controlling the pitch of equipment using the volt
per octave standard, which applies to most analog synthesizers.
• PITCH HZ/V should be chosen for controlling the pitch of equipment using the herz
per volt standard, which applies to for example older Korg and Yamaha synths.
• VALUE LIN is used to send out arbitrary control voltages, useful when for instance
sequencing or parameter locking any voltage-controlled parameters on analog equipment.
• TRIG is used to send out short trig pulses at the start of note events.
• GATE gives a longer pulse, with a duration of the whole note length.
MIDDLE C is only visible when PITCH V/OCT is selected for the TYPE parameter. It sets the
overall tuning of the pitch CV.
TUNING is visible when the TYPE parameter has been set to anything but PITCH V/OCT. It
sets the overall tuning of the pitch CV.
V/OCT is only visible when PITCH V/OCT is selected for the TYPE parameter. It sets the pitch
width of the signal.
OCTAVE WIDTH is visible when the TYPE parameter has been set to anything but PITCH V/
OCT. It sets the pitch width of the signal.
TRIG POLARITY selects the polarity of trig signals sent. V-TRIG and S-TRIG options exist. Vtrig (voltage trigger) is a trig pulse going from 0 V to a user-defined voltage level. S-TRIG
(short circuit trigger) goes the other way, from a user-defined voltage level to 0 V. V-TRIG is
the most common trig polarity. S-TRIG is primarily used by older Moog, Korg and Yamaha
synths.

n2design

Post by n2design » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 am

I just picked up the a4, I think I'll give the archangel a spin next year.