Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ColorForm2113

Re: Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm

weemac wrote:If you don't have tons of money to throw around consider a Roland JX-3P with the controller thingy (PG-300) and you have a great Polysynth with a lush sound that has decent patch memory and some really great features for modulation and chorus.
Yes it has DCOs but they sound good and the filter is a gem!
I use mine almost as a deluxe string synth as it can do a pretty decent mimic of my Korg Lambda es-50 but it can easily do cutting nasty polyphonic sounds too (not quite as agro as a Casio CZ5000 though).
They are very reliable and cheap as chips...

Eden.
True that. My set up us voyager, micro moog, blofeld, and jx3p w/pg200 and they all play VERY well together. I'm sure any waldorf synth would fit nicely with the voyager though.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 pm

restlessboy wrote:For the record I plumped for a used Prophet 08 PE keyboard on eBay. Really happy with it. Haven't actually received my Voyager yet though! The distributor gave me an estimate two weeks ago that it would be with them tomorrow, so should get it Saturday hopefully! Just sold my Jen SX1000 to make some room (there is no room).

Re: Blofeld - not enough knobs. I've come to realise that I just hate menu diving and endless encoder grinding to get anywhere - it seems like it might be in that space to me. Although for the price and what I've heard of it, it does seem an impressive synth.
Good call! Perfect combo! You're going to have TONS of fun with these two great synths!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I agree that I O S is a great bet for synth's their are some really awsome one's available for cheep even though they do sound somewhat predictably digital
and with audiobus the option's have expanded tremendously look up compatible apps with this feature
don't pass up the fantastik loop sampler's like samplr, idensity, samplewiz, loopy hd they give you option's for a whole lot of expressive effects
and their are also some great controller / step sequincer's like poly arp, littlemidi ect

I'm still on a quest to tame this pair of Moogerfooger Freqboxe's into playing nice with my Moog XL
very wild somewhat speaker dangerous oscillator's they are
and that's what I like about them, not for everybody though
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:10 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Octatrack, G2, Voyager.

What a combo! :)
I'm finally learning how to use my Octatrack. Love the addition of the 3 new reverbs. They sound good enough that I don't feel like I need to buy a separate reverb unit anymore. I've been using my Octatrack for live looping of viola and guitar, but will get around to Voyager eventually - both for simply looping the audio and sequencing the Voyager.

slirak

Post by slirak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:34 pm

I just got myself an old Arp Axxe. It's sort of like half an Odyssey, at third the price. It really contrasts well against the Voyager.

If I'd get a poly synth, it would probably be a Prophet 600. It has its flaws, but it's like fifth the price of a Prophet 5 and it does have that fat, but dry and aggressive Prophet sound, that's also a really nice complement to the more juicy sound of the Voyager. Back in the days, a Model D and a Prophet 5 was a very common combination.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 pm

A wee update from me...

I eventually did replace my Nord Lead 2x with a Virus TI2. Here's my dream VA now, The keyboard and engine of the Virus with the Nord interface. I absolutely love the sounds I'm getting out of the Virus, considerably more than most sounds I got from my 2x. But the Nord still has a great interface...wish they'd start making midi controllers with Fatar key-beds. haha. My one complaint with the Virus is what we over at the Access forum have labelled "ghost notes." Occasionally, maybe once a month, the Virus just triggers a note on its own accord and holds it indefinitely, even if you're in the next room. It has yet to affect me in a live performance. I imagine once it does, I'll be looking to replace it––at least in my live rig.

As for the Electro2rack... I'm still using it (controlling it with the Virus is much more pleasant), but I'm craving a better sound. I've considered the Hammond SK1, but I haven't had a chance to play with one. From what I understand, the organ emulations are superb, but the EPs are a bit lacking... Does anyone have any experience with one of these, particularly compared to an Electro?

Still considering the Prophet 08 or the Andromeda

. . . or the new Prophet 12. Anyone had the pleasure of hearing one live?

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm

namahshaman wrote:Still considering the Prophet 08 or the Andromeda

. . . or the new Prophet 12. Anyone had the pleasure of hearing one live?
The Prophet 08 and the Andromeda are very different beasts - and with very different price tags! Also, the Andromeda is pretty hard to come by. The Prophet 08's, well, they're a dime a dozen.

I've had a Mopho x4 and that's basically a Prophet 08 with half of the voices, but with two extra sub-oscillators per voice (and lacking split and layers). So the basic voice of a Mopho x4 is a bit more versatile than the basic voice of a Prophet 08. It sounds good, both of them do. But they're DCO synths and the Andromeda is a true VCO synth. And you can certainly hear the difference.

If you like the classic SCI sound, I'd still recommend a Prophet 600. Its architecture is much simpler than a Mopho x4/Prophet 08, but its sounds are just so much fuller, richer, more distinct. It's simply much more alive. And cheap. The 600's do have issues, even if they're in mint condition. Their envelopes are a bit slow and if you tweak a parameter in real time, you'll hear obvious stepping. I still think they sound way better than the Mopho/Prophet 08, if classic analog sounds are what you're after.

If you actually have the budget for an Andromeda, then maybe you should look for a vintage Prophet 5 instead. About the same price tag.

I haven't had the pleasure to try out a Prophet 12. But it's again a very different beast. Beats the cr*p out of all of the above, when it comes to sonic versatility. But it's not even a DCO synth, its oscillators are fully digital. So I'm not sure it's all that different to a VA synth like the Virus. Which is certainly a very capable VA synth.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 pm

I am really jonesing for a prophet 12. It seems a lot like the blofeld but with 2 analog filters, analog vca and distortion. And I really love my blofeld but having knob per function and all the analog goodness is so tempting...anyone want to give $3k for a blofeld? :wink:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step