Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thealien666

Re: Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Post by thealien666 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

restlessboy wrote:...You could have a slider which grows to twice its size when you touch it - allowing really precise control.
I will add a little to this rant: those sliders could easily move by themselves, showing their changing values as the sounds are played (like virtual motorized faders), and come back to their set position once the sound is stopped to show the value set in memory ?

You will have guessed that I also despise those rotary knob emulation and their crappy, counter intuitive, interface.

Rant over.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Exactly. There's no reason controls on touchscreens need to be restricted by copying real world physical controls. Just look the Lemur and stuff like that.

Maybe we should form a mob and head to the Animoog forum? :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 am

restlessboy wrote:Exactly. There's no reason controls on touchscreens need to be restricted by copying real world physical controls.
I guess ANIMOOG has to look like ANY MOOG... :wink:

MC

Post by MC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

There are many potential partners for the Voyager

Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Does it have to be a synth? I love comping chords on my Wurly while doing Voyager melodies! variety's the spice of life!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Ditto.

And eventhough you only have an EP, some well choosen pedals can make pads out of it. I saw a band (don't remember if it was here or on the Elektron forum) whose trio video showed he was using a Rhodes but the sounds were some kinds of wonderful jazzy chorused seagulls...

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

I can say the P08 does make a nice match for the Voyager, I had an early version and upgraded it to the PE version. HOWEVER....I upgraded that to a P5 and I can swear to you that this is truly a match made in heaven! 8)
P6, Tempest, Sub37

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Ditto.

And eventhough you only have an EP, some well choosen pedals can make pads out of it. I saw a band (don't remember if it was here or on the Elektron forum) whose trio video showed he was using a Rhodes but the sounds were some kinds of wonderful jazzy chorused seagulls...
Radiohead do all sorts of ambient pad sounds with their Rhodes. Chorus, phaser, delay, reverb...
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:19 am

bhrama wrote:I can say the P08 does make a nice match for the Voyager, I had an early version and upgraded it to the PE version. HOWEVER....I upgraded that to a P5 and I can swear to you that this is truly a match made in heaven! 8)
Had a dream the other night that I played a Prophet 5... That's as close to playing one as I've come. :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am

Kenneth wrote:

Radiohead do all sorts of ambient pad sounds with their Rhodes. Chorus, phaser, delay, reverb...
Can you give some specific examples, Kenneth?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
Kenneth wrote:

Can you give some specific examples, Kenneth?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSpJEuNZxIk

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 am

Has anyone any comments on passing a P08 through the Voyager filter? I assume that wouldn't be too difficult. I'm guessing you slave (if that's the right word) the P08 so you're playing it with the V keyboard - so the filter opens/responds to whatever envelope or modulation when you press the key (is that right?) – then feed the audio out from the P08 into the external input jack pre-filter. Plus mute all the Voyager’s oscillators (or don’t!).

The only downside I see is the reduction of all the possible P08 outputs from dual stereo to mono.

So, yeah. Not a question really, just thinking aloud and inviting any thoughts.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 am

(Thanks Kenneth, I'll watch this :) )

RestlessBoy, another drawback is the fact you'll be fine for monophonic lines, but for polyphonic stuffs, you may obtain something a bit weirder. Like a paraphonic synth, Opus 3 etc.

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 pm

I thought the Voyager keyboard could be used as a polyphonic midi controller?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm

restlessboy wrote:I thought the Voyager keyboard could be used as a polyphonic midi controller?
It can be but the p'08 is one filter per voice (8 filters) where if you run it through the voyager you get the same filter for all 8 voices. Not necessarily a bad thing just sounds different. More like the string synths of the 70's
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step