Big announcement?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
restlessboy

Big announcement?

Post by restlessboy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 am

So what does everyone think the big 10th anniversary announcement is going to be?

Seems pretty clear that Select series and possibly even Electric Blue are going to be discontinued - but will there be an exciting new flavour of Voyager to replace them? Is this an especially good time to be saving for a Voyager - will there be a new 'bells and whistles' edition coming?

Wild unfeasible speculation welcomed.

EricK

Re: Big announcement?

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:54 am

Why would you say the selects would be DC?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

NOW IS THE TIME!
It's your last chance ever...but it's your best chance too.
Check back Friday if you're waiting for the drop, we'll leave the lights on for you a little bit longer. Opportunities like this only come once every ten years.
Not-very-cryptic reference to backlighting?

I'm guessing Selects discontinued with a price drop between now and the end of the year. Some new kind of Voyager announced to be released in 2013... but what will it be!? :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Interesting.
I have been personally wondering when they would discontinue the XL. I saw awhile back where they announced that they were taking final orders for the ATA cases for them.

Sounds like a big price drop for sure.

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Saw a comment on FB. May be a backlit OS rackmount. That would make sense based on this picture

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

The Select is discontinued and selling for $2,999.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:48 am

That picture shows the mod buss having a programmable destination so I don't think the Old School can do that.

2999 is still a good price for a Select, but that should mean that you should be able to get it cheaper than that from Nova. I got mine for 2999 from Novamusik a few years ago with a VX351 thrown in so that means without the VX you could probably get it even cheaper.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

please, just don't stop making the XL's until I get one. :mrgreen:

Badcatblackcat

Post by Badcatblackcat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 am

This is especially fun if you bought a Select Series a month ago for full price.
Voyager, Sub 37, Prodigy, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, Alesis Andromeda A6

brandonm

Post by brandonm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:35 am

So what will be the next Minimoog? A cheaper one produced in higher volumes?

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

brandonm wrote:So what will be the next Minimoog? A cheaper one produced in higher volumes?
Ha..the website has crashed, I keep getting the timeout has expired!

I would think it's just the end of the Select Series Voyager and the standard Voyager would still be produced.
May have something to do with producing customized Voyagers and having to keep a wide range of inventory.
If all Voyagers look the same, all the parts are the same...just guessing tho. :)
E-mu-Emax SE Plus, E-mu Emulator II+HD, Roland D50, EnsoniqVFX-SD, Korg Wavestation EX, Moog Voyager Maple Edition.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't like this. Who in the world says, "happy birthday, were killing you off." I hope a better alternative to the select is on its way (as if that were possible). Maybe polyvoyager? :mrgreen:

Regarding Novamusik, all of their selects have been sold out for over a month. Their lunar impact is also now priced at 2999. This one is one might be on its way out too.

This is a shame. I was going to buy a second voyager soon... hopefully they'll still be around by the time I'm ready for one...
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Whatever the big announcement is, we will likely find out the weekend before Halloween.

Bigcitymusic has some Selects, but they weren't listed at $2999.

For what it's worth though, I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a Performer edition because the backlighting lifespan is 1000 hours. I rarely turn mine on.

The Whitewash Lunars are going to be the crown jewel of collectors items way down the line.

I love how everything Moog makes holds it's value pretty well and everything they discontinue becomes a collectors item.

Theres no way they would DC their Voyager, but we know what happens when they clean up space for inventory by discontinuing something....

And your wallets will rue the day.

brandonm

Post by brandonm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 pm

EricK wrote:The Whitewash Lunars are going to be the crown jewel of collectors items way down the line.
You think so? I have a whitewash lunar model, not that I really care about collector value. I just like how it looks. I would like to have white switches on mine though, but whatever. :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:03 pm

In my opinion, looking at how we treat the whiteface ARP Odyssey, The lunar Voyager's will probably fetch more as well as the Foogers. The XL is a different class of it's own, like the MultiMoogs.