Help new Voyager XL Owner (Show me yours)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
modeerf

Help new Voyager XL Owner (Show me yours)

Post by modeerf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:16 am

I just ordered a new Voyager XL for my studio. I am a guitarist with an interest in analog synths so I decided to trade a Vintage '69 Fender Mustang Comp for a Voyager XL. The problem is I need a stand for it, can you recommend one that will be reliable, sturdy, and I can possibly add on to in the future. I have a ton of effects pedals and plan on using alot of them with the voyager so I think it would be cool to get a stand that can have a second tier just for pedals somehow. Especially moogerfooger pedals...Seems like it would be nice if they were mounted near the modular part of the XL for easy patching and such.
What do you use with your voyagers (xl) and do you have pictures of your stands? I've been researching all of the stands I could find but am uncertain about which one to get. I would use it in a standing position and a sitting position. I love the solidstands but there is no way I would spend that much on a stand right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks, This is my first analog synth and my first post. Glad to join you guys here.

ColorForm2113

Re: Help new Voyager XL Owner (Show me yours)

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:07 am

i have the wall mount system from them ---> http://www.lmproducts.com/indexStandtastic.cfm
they are fantastic. strong, reliable and very adjustable. although i did use larger bolts than the ones that they sent to screw into the studs in my wall. i dont have an XL, just a select series but it has given me no problems
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Cpt Beardheart

Post by Cpt Beardheart » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 am

You sound just like me!

Guitar player who bought an XL to do awesome synth stuff with the intention of including effects pedals, etc.

I use the simple double-braced X stand from Sweetwater (who I highly recommend, btw). This one: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XStdDbl

It works really well. I like it because it is very stable, very sturdy, simple to assemble and set up and tear down and adjust, and it is basically invisible. It just looks like the XL has legs.

You can add a second tier (which I also plan to do some day) with this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2ndTierDlx

And since you asked, here's the jam room:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 am

The OnStage stuff is very versatile. I have two of the Z style stands and they are well built and well suited for multitier. The link above by the Captain is a great add-on.

I have one setup with my Voyager Old School on top and an A&H Mixing board on the bottom and the other setup with Phatty on top, Opus3 Middle, Oberheim Matrix 6 bottom and Taurus pedals beneath. Yes, it's 3 tier with Taurus on the floor. I'll post pictures when I get home but the great thing about them is the depth especially on the top tier if you get the right add-on.

Many of the 2nd Tier attachments connect at the rear of the strut and only give 12 or 14" of depth. Some of the OnStage attachments provide a few inches of dept behind the vertical strut which is good for deeper keyboards. See this pic:

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/it ... /GRP000072 It's solid.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

modeerf

Post by modeerf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks for the replies...

How do you think it would be with an Ultimate V-Stand Pro? Would the arms be ok with it. Seems like the Voyager XL would be setting further past the rubber supports on the arms and onto the metal joint part of it. Would this make it unstable? Otherwise seems like a cool stand.

I've decided I may not need a 2nd tier after all, but rather just do a rack beside it to patch things up.

Anyone have experience with the V-Stand Pro? A picture maybe?

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:19 pm

I had a V Stand pro for a while with my Voyager...which holds it very well.

Only thing that i had to "modify" was some rubber to protect the back of the Voyager from scratching against the metal of the stand.

Khatru2U

Post by Khatru2U » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

I have my XL and a Virus on an "On Stage KS7-365 EJ" Z-style stand. It's built like a tank; NO movement on either level when I play.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84298631@N ... /lightbox/
MVXL, MLPS2, AccessVTi2K, Korg MS2000, Novation K-Station, Alesis QS6.2, Arturia MiniBrute, Kurzweil 2500RS, MF-101,102,103,104M,105M,107,108M, Stuff