Voyager XL Tips and tricks

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tommyecho

Voyager XL Tips and tricks

Post by tommyecho » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey folks,

I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a thread for sharing voyager XL patching/workflow tips and tricks. Anyone interested? Of course, any voyager owner with a CP251 and Vx351 could get in on the action, too.

I'm more interested in workflow related things than actual patches, but any/all shared info would be great!

Here's what I mean by "workflow":

I just saved a bunch of modified "initialized parameters" patches that I prefer to the standard one. In this patch, I turned off all touch screen destinations, as well as turning off the S&H effect on the touchscreen. This way, I can use the Touchscreen outs on the patch bay more freely, without worrying about the touchscreen also affecting the filter controls. If I hit upon anything that I really like, I can save the patch with the touchscreen routed this way, or I can just plan on patching it up analog style. I just did this and I already am having a lot more fun with the touchscreen. I also set the "T.S. memory mod bus" to on, which i prefer for a starter patch.

In this same "init" patch, I programmed the mod busses destination and shaping parameters. The destination of the mod wheel bus is now Filter spacing, when I select the LFO/PGM. The Pedal bus is Filter Resonance. I also went ahead and programmed the shaping source to a mixture of the filter cutoff, and filter spacing.

This way, my "blank slate" patch has immediate access to Resonance and Spacing as mod destinations, and, if I want to set the destination to LFO, I can just patch it analog-style from the mod bus out to the LFO rate.

Well, this is my tip, for what it's worth. Hope to hear some good ones from other folks!

Tom
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Khatru2U

Re: Voyager XL Tips and tricks

Post by Khatru2U » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Well I for one would certainly appreciate "Tips and Tricks." I have had my XL for only about 2 weeks, and I am still focusing entirely on the Voyager portion of my synth. I have deliberately avoided the patch bay until I become much more familiar with the Mod, Oscilator and Filter portion (even avoiding TS) The only tip I can offer at this juncture is to make sure it's covered before you go to bed. If you gaze upon it first thing in the morning it will definitely "capture" you. :)
MVXL, MLPS2, AccessVTi2K, Korg MS2000, Novation K-Station, Alesis QS6.2, Arturia MiniBrute, Kurzweil 2500RS, MF-101,102,103,104M,105M,107,108M, Stuff

BillySynth

Post by BillySynth » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:00 am

I actually sent moog an email asking for a vid on tips and trick with the XL, they stated they were busy with other
things but agreed it would be a good idea to have such a video avialable. When they, if they, get around to it
who know?

Billy

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 am

I think its a great Idea!

I don't have allot to contribute at the moment, but would love to see what others are doing :mrgreen: or what its capable of in the creators hands!

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:12 am

The first thing i'd do with an xl would be freeing my mod bus 2. Almost always i use aftertouch for filter cutoff modulation, which is great for expressive playing. If i need mod bus 2 for other stuff (eg. osc2 modulation with filter env, when sync is on) i have to give up aftertouch.

Doesn't the XL has a separate S/H and also a separate slew-limiter? You could do very decent oscillator modulation with this to create dreamy slop sounds.
Last edited by psicolor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.psicolor.de

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:13 am

tommyecho wrote:
In this same "init" patch, I programmed the mod busses destination and shaping parameters. The destination of the mod wheel bus is now Filter spacing, when I select the LFO/PGM. The Pedal bus is Filter Resonance. I also went ahead and programmed the shaping source to a mixture of the filter cutoff, and filter spacing.

This way, my "blank slate" patch has immediate access to Resonance and Spacing as mod destinations, and, if I want to set the destination to LFO, I can just patch it analog-style from the mod bus out to the LFO rate.

Well, this is my tip, for what it's worth. Hope to hear some good ones from other folks!

Tom
Excellent! I was thinking of a work around for this today, thanks for this tip!

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm

BHC303 wrote:
tommyecho wrote:

Tom
Excellent! I was thinking of a work around for this today, thanks for this tip!
Awesome! I'm glad to know it helped!

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm

psicolor wrote:The first thing i'd do with an xl would be freeing my mod bus 2. Almost always i use aftertouch for filter cutoff modulation, which is great for expressive playing. If i need mod bus 2 for other stuff (eg. osc2 modulation with filter env, when sync is on) i have to give up aftertouch.

Doesn't the XL has a separate S/H and also a separate slew-limiter? You could do very decent oscillator modulation with this to create dreamy slop sounds.
Yes! By "mod bus 2" you mean the second mod bus (the pedal bus), right? I only ask because there is a weird thing where mod 1 in the patchbay corresponds to the second mod bus, and mod 2 in the patch bay is a secondary source that either mod bus can use. . . just for clarification.

Love the idea about the slop sounds. Just made a mess of it here.

mindsketch

Post by mindsketch » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Sorry to see this thread was so short lived and so long ago. I just picked up the XL and am taking a similar approach by limiting my discoveries to the Voyager portion before getting foolish on the patch panel. Maybe it is as it should be, but I'm having trouble finding much online in terms of cookbook, tips & tricks, etc. I guess each person's unique discovery is the better reward.

For what it's worth, heres a "bump" from the year 2020. Stay healthy (COVID is a mf)

Switchmonkey

Post by Switchmonkey » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 pm

I’m in the same boat. Lots of reading from very old posts. I guess I’m really late to the party...

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm

someone here had posted a patch template for the XL panel, if you search you can probably find it

I plan to print up a bunch of pages & use them in a binder as reference, just like the minimoog patchbook

also on the voyager, when I save my patches I try to include details of how I patched the XL patchbay, in very shorthand

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 am

ummagumma wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm someone here had posted a patch template for the XL panel, if you search you can probably find it

Is it this one? From the KnobTweak archives:

MMVXL Patch Recall Sheet (1).png

Edit: A .pdf version of this sheet has also been uploaded to the MM Voyager Facebook page.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm

aha that looks like it!

I have an aversion to facebook, is the Knobtweaks archive available anywhere else? would be nice to get the PDF