MOD wheel to filter...doesn't open filter all the way...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SvK

MOD wheel to filter...doesn't open filter all the way...

Post by SvK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi all,

When I assign the mod wheel buss to open the filter cutoff on my voyager:

source: on/mod1
destination: filter
shaping: on/prog
amount: 127

...now if I with these settings diual the actual cutoff to "0", and then use my mod wheel it barely opens up the cutoff id say it only gets to circa 40% open. I'm at a loss.

best,
SvK

EricK

Re: MOD wheel to filter...doesn't open filter all the way...

Post by EricK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 am

I tried this on mine and it does the same thing. Even with the mod buss amount and the amount to filter all the way open the best I got was 50%

If I'm not mistaken, "On" is just a voltage. I don't know what the value of that voltage is, but it might not be enough to move anything beyond the 40% you are getting.
Try pot mapping.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 am

Just make sure that keyboard tracking (Kb. Cont. Amount) and filter envelope (Amount to Filter) are null, as those can offset the cutoff frequency.

Also, in the case of filter envelope, remember that the "amount to filter" is null at center position.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

If I remember it right, the ON modulation source is about 5 V. So this would open up the filter by about 5 octaves. So when the filter is really down at. let's say, 40 Hz (zero on the filter is way below this!), 5 octaves will open it up to 1280 Hz. The usable span of a filter is just way to high for ull range sweeps by a single control voltage.
Even on my modular synth here, it is not possible for most CVs to sweep the filter all the way.

So this is not something I would consider are weak point or a design error. Better use the touch surface for wide filter sweeps. This is working bipolar, so the left hand will give you lower then set cutoff, and the right hand higher frequencies. That way you get about the double of weep range. There is a reason for this touch surface.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Try using Pot mapping - See EDIT Mode - searching the forum for Pot mapping should return some helpful results.

You can map the Mod wheel to control the Filter Cutoff 100%

Hope that helps...
SD