Voyager filter problem - self oscillation

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
levib

Voyager filter problem - self oscillation

Post by levib » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Hello
I have a weird problem in my Voyager synth. the filter creates this really weird lfo to the wave. It sounds like there is some modulation going on. I closed any other parameteres such the LFO's and check all the OSC. its coming from the filter ENV. and its change the frequency with the ATTACK, DECAY, SUSTAIN knobs. from left till the top.

does anybody had the same problem?

thanks

Voltor07

Re: Voyager filter problem - self oscillation

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:31 am

The filter is designed to go into self-oscillation at certain settings. It's not as much a problem as it is a feature. Moog filters have always done this, AFAIK.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Spav

Post by Spav » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Did it suddenly start doing this after a while of not using the synth?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:33 am

You must have the env tied to the filter through a modulation bus somewhere if the env controls are affecting the filter. There are many ways for this to happen and it is a standard routing.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

levib

Post by levib » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:49 am

Thank you all for your replies.
I know that the filter can create aself ocsilation and about the option to get the Env control it theough the lfo bias. But that is not the issue. All the bias are closed. The lfo rate can be set anywhere and steel the filter create weird modulation in some conditions. I found out when exactly it happens and i made a short video to explain it.
By the way all the presets are sound different since it started. They are not "clean".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7ITDjd ... ata_player

Spav

Post by Spav » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm

I don't think it is self oscillation, I think the rate is the attack time + the decay time.

If you leave the attack and decay at a setting where it is oscillating and does the sustain level affect the sound?
Also try reducing the envelope depth to zero and does the effect go away?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm

That doesn't sound normal.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 pm

If there is absolutely no pot mapping going on, then I agree with EricK; that's not normal behavior. Sounds like an op amp might be going into self oscillation somewhere in the VCA.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

levib

Post by levib » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 am

Eventually after talking with moog I have decide to take the synth to the lab. Before that I reset all the mapping and factory reset but that problem won't go.
Thank you all for your replies
I'll post later what was the problem and how it has been fixed.

Levi

levib

Post by levib » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:20 am

I realized something interesting
After playing a new voyager at the store.
I think somehowon my voyager, the Vol Env and the Filter Env connected together.
In the new synth I tried at store, they act seprately.

On my voyager, when the vol attack is high and the filter attack is low, the filtershort attack will repeat itself again and again for the whole lengh of the vol attack, and that sounds like a Filter Lfo.

Somebody has any idea? Cause my lab doesnt have a clue till now.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am

Did you try a master reset? It may very well be pot papping, but I don't think that the filter env is a destination. There are a limited number of options with pot mapping.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Levib, can you confirm that there is no pot mapping active ?

Assigning the Volume Envelope Attack knob to Cutoff in one map, and the same knob to Resonance in a second map could produce somewhat similar results...

Also, from your description in your last post, it looks like the filter envelope might be looping (not possible in a properly functioning Voyager, but available on some other synths).

If that's the case, then there might be some CMOS logic gate in the envelope circuits that has failed. Logic chips failing in a Voyager seems more common than not... One other member here, named Spav, has recently had to replace a few CD4052 analog signal switches chips in his Voyager.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

levib

Post by levib » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi thealien666,
I made a mapping reset and the problem still exist. You described it better then me- the filter envelope actually looping! And should not behave like that.

Can you please explain me what are the CMOS logic gate in the envelope circuits? So I can focus my tech engeenir who trying to fix it. I've been at the lab today for an hour And we didn't find the reason for the problem.

Thank you :)

levib

Post by levib » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 pm

EricK wrote:Did you try a master reset? It may very well be pot papping, but I don't think that the filter env is a destination. There are a limited number of options with pot mapping.
I made the mapping reset if that's what you mean. When the 3.5 OS Released I updated the synth too. Is there any other reset to try?

RL

Post by RL » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm

If you get the same result with the init sound (EDIT menu) then there is definitely a hardware problem on your Voyager.
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2