RME Voyager - Can I record the knobs???

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
joinedagain

RME Voyager - Can I record the knobs???

Post by joinedagain » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 am

I was certain it could do this and even double up as a a midi controller if you wished. But i just cannot get my sequencer to record/recognise any knob movements at all. I have a bad feeling now that it doesn't but just want it conformed

I'm using Cubase 5, win xp on a PC and have also tried Ableton Live 8
I have version 3.5 but I will say that was a major hassle with the recommended software. It kept asking for bank A first not bank B like it says in the manual. Why not have the new OS on bank A anyway ??
So I used a much simpler sysy ex transfer program but it just went from bank a through to D, i hand no choice in the matter. I also loaded the sounds for the 3.5 update. I think everything is ok there?

IM going in and out on midi ch1 directly from my RME Card. And I have an EMU USB X2 interface but nothing happens with either of them. I can record and play back the voyager no problem at all on my sequencer but its just this knob thing. I really thought it could do this?

joinedagain

Re: RME Voyager - Can I record the knobs???

Post by joinedagain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 am

Anyone

Have an of you actually recorded your voyagers knob movements in to your sequencer, As if you were automating a soft synths parameters. :?:

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am

First thing I'd check is:

Master button>page 1.1>MIDI Input/Output>Make sure input and output are both ON.

If that's not the trouble, you should be able to redo a system update w/ the demo version of the Voyager editor in the recommended order. Hope this helps!

-andrew

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 pm

joinedagain wrote:Anyone

Have an of you actually recorded your voyagers knob movements in to your sequencer, As if you were automating a soft synths parameters. :?:
yes this actually works, definitely, on any normal Voyager. Sounds like MIDI output is either disabled or not working on your RME.

Spav

Post by Spav » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Don't kow about Cubase, this may help though...

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... nar#p96787

joinedagain

Post by joinedagain » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 pm

just wanted to say that I have never been able to get this working on any Daw I have tried as well as an MPC 4000 and MPC 2000xl.

Since I posted this topic way back in June I have revisited the issue a number of times without success.
Im not an idiot in regards stuff like this and in all honesty this is the first piece of gear I have owned I could
not figure out an issue, and in this case its not an issue Ive had any problems with before.

Weirdly I get a midi transmission signal from the Moogs midi out but knob movements are not recorded and I cannot control anything whether it be other hardware or software synths. Ive also tried sending every possible controller data to the Moog. The only controller data that works is program changes which is zero use to me.

Ive tried both PC and Mac running Ableton Live, Cubase, Pro Tools, and Logic. Ive tried three different midi interfaces - PCI and USB. On top of that Ive tried hardware sequencers. Its definitely not me setting up something wrong in either the Daws midi section or the Voyager. Finding out what the problem is seems impossible, and where I live there is no Tech who could look at it. For that I would have to send to London which is expensive and quite a hassle. It doesnt help that it seems to be a phantom problem. It exists but yet it doesnt - if that makes any sense.

For the time being Im going to forget about trying to fix this which is very disappointing as automating the filter was very important to me. I cant twist the filter fast enough manually. Deep down I believe there is an issue with the Moogs midi out and the sending and receiving of sys x data. I think it can be traced back to the way the OS update wouldnt load the way the instructions said it would. I redid this a number of times and it was always the same. Very weird. :?

Anyway, thanks to those who responded.

RL

Post by RL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:49 am

In the MASTER menu you will find the software versions of the boot and the system.
Are both versions 3.5?
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

joinedagain

Post by joinedagain » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:32 am

Hi, apologies for the late reply.

Yes its the latest OS. However when I updated that a few months ago it didnt seem to update correctly...what I mean is when I tried reinstalling the banks it wouldnt work as stated in the update instructions. As I recall it said B would be the first one>> But thats not what happened with me. I tried the process a number of times and it was the same each time. But even before that I wasnt able to transmit and receive midi/sys ex via the knobs. I updated the OS hoping that would fix the issue.

Ive also downloaded the demo of the Voyager plugSE. Unfortunately no luck with that. All I got from that was messing up my midi settings. Its not very clear from the manual how to set it up. But I think I probably did set it up ok but couldnt get it talking with the Moog probably because of the problem I already have.

I am going to send the synth away to an authorised service dept in the UK as Im convinced theres a problem I wont be able to fix. Ive exhausted many hours on the issue now so I think its time someone else took over.

Thanks to all who tried helping me :D