Did Pink Floyd use any moog gear?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
n2design

Did Pink Floyd use any moog gear?

Post by n2design » Mon May 28, 2012 1:15 am

Just wondering if PF used any moog gear on thier albums. I did see this one analog synth/modular they used that went for 15k on ebay, wondering if all their stuff was rare, and rarely circulated or if they used common gear of the day, namely moog gear?

Anyone know what that KB'st used?

On a side note, didn't ray manzarek of the doors use a moog?

fyvewytches

Re: Did Pink Floyd use any moog gear?

Post by fyvewytches » Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 am

There are loads of photos with RIck Wright and a Minimoog. And just a wild guess here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond does contains more than a slight Moog sound specially at right at the start and last part.

I don't remember seeing any sort of modular gear. Of course I didn't know him personally but I would think Rick Wright would have been more into just playing the keyboard than twiddling knobs... He seemed more of a traditionalist preferring piano and organ. Roger Waters on the other hand seemed quite partial to playing with the EMS gear and making floyd-noise.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon May 28, 2012 9:08 am

I'm pretty sure Manzarek did not use any Moog gear, or any synthesizer gear for that matter. He played a Farfisa combo organ (either that or a Vox Continental, can't remember), and a Rhodes Piano Bass on top of that.

I've also seen photos of Pink Floyd using Moog gear onstage, but I was always under the impression that they only used Synthis and VCS3s. They did use a lot of Arp Solina string ensemble, which provided that orchestral sound all over Wish You Were Here.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Mon May 28, 2012 11:03 am

... yeah that and the wine glasses of course :D
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm

The Mini Moog was first used by Pink Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon tour. During the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, the EMS VCS3 and AKS versions were used in the studio. The first album that the Mini Moog was used on was Wish You Were Here. All leads on this album were done with the Mini Moog. All string sounds were done with the ARP Solina and all the sound effects were done with the EMS VCS3 and AKS. The Animals Album, the Mini Moog was used for all lead sounds, sound effects were done with the EMS VCS3 and AKS. String sounds were done with the ARP Solina and Korg PE 1000. Of course, all the albums used Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes and acoustic pianos. The Wall album used the Prophet V as its main synthesizer. The Mini Moog was used very little. During the live Wall Tour, Pink Floyd incorporated an ARP Quadra along with the previously mentioned keyboards. Note: Ray Manzarek used a Moog modular on the album Strange Days, but used a Mini Moog on his solo projects.
Last edited by Rob Smith on Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Tue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm

In the early days of the Doors Ray Manzarek Used a Gibson organ with a fender bass keyboard on top. >>>>>>>>>>>> VERY COOL!

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue May 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Rob Smith wrote:... The first album that the Mini Moog was used on was Wish You Were Here....
I think you'll find it was used for the song "Any Colour You Like"... according to a few sources anyway. :D
Rob Smith wrote:... All string sounds were done with the ARP Solina....
... and the wine glasses

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 pm

fyvewytches wrote:
Rob Smith wrote:... The first album that the Mini Moog was used on was Wish You Were Here....
I think you'll find it was used for the song "Any Colour You Like"... according to a few sources anyway. :D
Rob Smith wrote:... All string sounds were done with the ARP Solina....
... and the wine glasses
Studio version was done with EMS Vcs3, The Minimoog was used live on Any Colour You Like during the Dark Side Tour. Pink Floyd had access to A moog Modular at Abbey Road studios when they were recording Dark Side, But they did not use it.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Kenneth wrote:He played a Farfisa combo organ (either that or a Vox Continental, can't remember), and a Rhodes Piano Bass on top of that.

I've also seen photos of Pink Floyd using Moog gear onstage, but I was always under the impression that they only used Synthis and VCS3s. They did use a lot of Arp Solina string ensemble, which provided that orchestral sound all over Wish You Were Here.
Hint: Ray Manzarek had a Compact Duo, and Farfisa bass pedals. His solo stuff post-Doors features a lot of Moog and synths in general.

Hint: French horn in Wish You Were Here=Minimoog.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 pm

The first two Doors albums, He used the VOX Continental. Then Ray Manzarek switched to the Gibson g-101. There is Doors Tribute Band called Soft Parade,The keyboard player looks just like RM. He uses the Gibson g-101 with a fender 2 octave bass piano. They are a total recreation of the Doors. http://www.thesoftparade.com/

n2design

Post by n2design » Wed May 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Rob Smith wrote:The Mini Moog was first used by Pink Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon tour. During the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, the EMS VCS3 and AKS versions were used in the studio. The first album that the Mini Moog was used on was Wish You Were Here. All leads on this album were done with the Mini Moog. All string sounds were done with the ARP Solina and all the sound effects were done with the EMS VCS3 and AKS. The Animals Album, the Mini Moog was used for all lead sounds, sound effects were done with the EMS VCS3 and AKS. String sounds were done with the ARP Solina and Korg PE 1000. Of course, all the albums used Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes and acoustic pianos. The Wall album used the Prophet V as its main synthesizer. The Mini Moog was used very little. During the live Wall Tour, Pink Floyd incorporated an ARP Quadra along with the previously mentioned keyboards. Note: Ray Manzarek used a Moog modular on the album Strange Days, but used a Mini Moog on his solo projects.
Nice info here! thanks, and thanks to every one else who chimed in!! Man, I really want to get a Prophet V!!

n2design

Post by n2design » Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Hint: French horn in Wish You Were Here=Minimoog.
Yeah, I love that sound!!!

n2design

Post by n2design » Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Is this the ARP Solina that floyd used?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

These seem to be under 1k, might pick one up if thats the case!

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 pm

n2design wrote:Is this the ARP Solina that floyd used?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

These seem to be under 1k, might pick one up if thats the case!
You are correct! Thats the one.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:02 am

The ARP Solina is my personal favorite for string synths. :mrgreen: If I had the money and time to dedicate I would get one. Vintage synths are a lot of work, though. I wish someone would make a modern version of it, but samplers can do the same thing, sound better, and cost about the same new. String synths are all but obsolete. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.