Feature Request !

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Firechild

Feature Request !

Post by Firechild » Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 am

I want to use the OSC3 more like a 2nd dedicated LFO.
So,what´s needed is just two more destinations on both modulation busses.

# Pitch for both OSC1 and OSC2
# Wave for both OSC1 and OSC2

With this routing it is possible to use Wave modulation (PWM ) on OSC 1 and OSC 2 and still keep the triangle waveform intact on OSC3 so you can use OSC3 as a second LFO with triangle waveform and use that for "vibrato" or whatever.
How it is implemented today the OSC3 is pretty useless as a second LFO cause as soon as you use wave modulation as it affects the OSC3 wave shape too , making the OSC3 a very bad sounding unstable LFO ;)

Logodave

Re: Feature Request !

Post by Logodave » Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 am

Just do it! See what happens, do you need us to hear something that you can "do" ?
Minimoog Voyager Old School, Sonovox, Bontempi Hit Organ (it's a toy, had it since I was 9), Panasonic SV-3800 DAT Recorder, RCA DX-77, UREI LA-4.

LWG

Post by LWG » Fri May 11, 2012 8:42 am

Firechild wrote:I want to use the OSC3 more like a 2nd dedicated LFO.
So,what´s needed is just two more destinations on both modulation busses.

# Pitch for both OSC1 and OSC2
# Wave for both OSC1 and OSC2

With this routing it is possible to use Wave modulation (PWM ) on OSC 1 and OSC 2 and still keep the triangle waveform intact on OSC3 so you can use OSC3 as a second LFO with triangle waveform and use that for "vibrato" or whatever.
Hello,

A simpler method of doing what you've presented is modifying the Voyager's hardware to switch the waveform mix cv on/off independently for oscillator 3.
There have previously been forum members who have voiced the idea of independent on/off switching of that cv function for oscillators 2 & 3.
That would be useful but even if it can be done, the patch memory version of the Vger doesn't seem to have enough unused front panel real estate to make the required switch(s) look seamless and native to the panel's function layout.
Also, any additional switch settings, would not be stored in Vger's patch memory.
For the previous reasons, such a modification seems like more of a natural fit for the Voyager OS, but a bit forced, if done on the patch memory Voyager.

Firechild wrote: How it is implemented today the OSC3 is pretty useless as a second LFO cause as soon as you use wave modulation as it affects the OSC3 wave shape too , making the OSC3 a very bad sounding unstable LFO ;)
There is a workaround (at the cost of an osc) using the sync function.
You'd use oscillator 1 and 2 to produce composite pulse width modulation,
while leaving oscillator 3 to be used as a second audio source, or as a second low frequency oscillator, assignable via the pedal mod bus.
You'll get PWM via 1&2, but Osc 3's waveform will be unaffected.

Regards,

-L

Firechild

Post by Firechild » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 am

I don´t understand how to use SYNC to be able to use PWM without affecting OSC3 ?

LWG

Post by LWG » Fri May 18, 2012 6:16 am

Firechild wrote:I don´t understand how to use SYNC to be able to use PWM without affecting OSC3 ?

Hello,

Board will not allow me to attach jpeg file. If you'd like one of my templates for this, you can inbox me your
email address, and I'll send you a patchsheet scan.

Regards,

-L