Voyager Editor questions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jyoung

Voyager Editor questions

Post by jyoung » Sat May 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Today I downloaded the Voyager Editor and demoed it. I'm running Windows 7 x64.

My general impression is that it seems pretty clunky. The Voyager graphic does not match the model I have (RME) and the graphic as well as the entire application is not re-sizable. On my high resolution screen this makes the switches and dials on the Voyager image pretty much useless as they are way too small to manipulate. Is anyone here using this software for editing presets on an RME? How is your experience with it?

TIA
== Voyager RME v3.5 ==

Mr Shave

Re: Voyager Editor questions

Post by Mr Shave » Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 pm

No RME here, but my impression of the editor/librarian is that it pretty much sucks. The tech support from the company that makes it (Sound Tower I believe) is totally non-existent... Even complaining to Moog trying to get support for the editor doesn't yield much. Basically, what I would say is, you can spend your 80 bucks elsewhere and get far better value... I would have rather bought some pizza and beer for friends than that piece of crap software...

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Tue May 08, 2012 4:57 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Moog release a new editor/librarian for the Voyager in the not too distant future, hopefully with as good an interface as the Minitaur's editor.
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:33 am

Hope its free, I just blew $ on editor....

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat May 12, 2012 5:59 am

I hope it is (free) for your sake too! I downloaded the trial and found I could barely do anything much with it on my laptop as the UI didn't scale...so I knew I wasn't going to invest in it from the start. Just waiting to see what comes out in the future.
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 am

I've gotta admit it's not the best software I've ever used, but just how exactly would you expect such an interface to scale ???

I guess you are talking about the edit window which has a bitmap background and no standard UI elements.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 am

Something like the Virus TI software :mrgreen: even library features like TI software would be a massive improvement, being able to create custom banks that are accessible from the moog but not overtiring current presets banks etc, sending singles to custom banks to your HD, searching 1000s of presets by style, drag and drop etc etc

I would like to see more visual illustrations / animations of what the filters are doing in the different modes / different pole settings etc :D

I love the morph section though!

Just my 2c

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Sat May 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments. They pretty much validate my impression of the editor. To fyvewytches and his comment about the interface scaling: There are hoards of VSTs with GUI interfaces that scale to the user's display with no issues. If the creators of this editor were serious about their product they would use the same techniques to produce a usable interface.
== Voyager RME v3.5 ==

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sat May 19, 2012 8:30 pm

jyoung wrote: If the creators of this editor were serious about their product they would use the same techniques to produce a usable interface.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector