Sending/Receiving individual Voyager patches?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Cruel Hoax

Sending/Receiving individual Voyager patches?

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:25 pm

I'm trying to send some patches to someone. I'm sending individual sounds, not the whole patch bank.

SysEx appears to record just fine into my sequencing software. But when I try to send it back to the Voyager (to check and verify that it'll work before I send it), nothing seems to happen.

I use Master Page 3.2 "Send Preset(s) to send the sound, then try Master Page 3.3 "Receive Presets" to try to receive them. I navigate to an empty patch slot, press the Master button, and Enter so that the display shows "SysEx enabled". I then play back the MIDI track (which contains the SysEx). The Voyager's MIDI light flashes briefly. I play a few keys, nothing. I press the Panel button, and see that the name of the preset hasn't changed.

SysEx filters are turned off within my software (on both input and output).

There seems to be something I'm missing. Anybody know what it might be?

Thanks-

-Hoax

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:57 pm

You're doing it correctly. Here's what I think is happening:

When you call up a preset on the Voyager, the preset goes into the Voyager's edit buffer. Here you can make all the edits you want, but to make them permanent you have to write the preset to a storage location. If you select another preset without saving your edits on the previous preset, those edits are lost. Thus you are always working from the edit buffer.

Now...

When you play back your MIDI track (assuming everything is working correctly) the recorded preset is written to the same location where it came from, bypassing the edit buffer. This is why you don't see a change on the Voyager's screen. And since the recorded preset goes back to the same location it came from, and if you haven't changed the preset at that location, it appears that nothing has happened.

To prove to yourself that it does work, write (copy) a different preset to the location that you recorded from. When you run the sequencer, the sysex data should replace the copied preset - in effect putting it back where it came from.

Note that since sysex records not only the preset data but also the storage location, you'll need to tell the recipient where these sounds will 'land' in his/her Voyager. Just to be safe, it would be a good idea to suggest that they backup their presets before loading yours.

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:08 pm

Looks like that was it! Double-checked by renaming a patch, then re-dumping. Sweet!

Much grass, amigo (and mucho thank-you, too!)

The Moog community: 1
Forces of evil and entropy: 0
</dork>

-Hoax

Acarian

Re:

Post by Acarian » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 am

GregAE wrote: Note that since sysex records not only the preset data but also the storage location, you'll need to tell the recipient where these sounds will 'land' in his/her Voyager.
hi all ! ( 7 years later :mrgreen: )

I try to build my personal bank presets for sending them to voyager .. im using "send pannel sound" fonction to avoid the location record .

Impossible to modify storage destination with a computer before import to voyager ?

or impossible to add storage location in a simply " panel sound " sysex ?

i think the Kopper Editor for voyager can transform a sysex with location into a pannel sound by deleting Storage Location , can i just modify it ?

How can i compil entire personnal sysex banks ?

Thx a lot !

till

Re: Sending/Receiving individual Voyager patches?

Post by till » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:52 am

The key to change the location or to send stored patches to the non permanent edit buffer is in the SysEx code. You need to know what you do in this data, otherwise, you might end up with non working SysEx data or you may overwrite existing patches.

The Voyager SysEx patch data sent or received starts with (all values are in hexadecimal numbers!):

F0 = start of SysEx marker (defined by the MIDI protocol)
04 = Moogmusic Identify Number
01 = Product Identify Number of the Voyager
00 = Device Identify Number (0 = default, this should only be changed i the data and the Voyager settings, if you use multiple Voyagers)

and now the important part:
02 = defines the dump as panel sound dump (Request = 05)
03 = defines the dump as preset dump. This is followed by the program number (0-127 in hexadecimal = 0 - 7F) Request = 06)

Then follows the actual sound data. On a request, this part is skipped for obvious reasons.

And finaly:

F7 = end of SysEx marker (defined by the MIDI protocol)

So back to the question: you can modify the patch location easily in the SysEx file. But do a backup of your sounds, before testing your fresh modified SysEx data. And you should use an editor for hexadecimal data. There are a few editors available for free on the Mac OS-X and most likely on Win-OS too.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Acarian

Post by Acarian » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 am

:D :D
hey till that's very cool

:mrgreen: i love u :mrgreen:

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Acarian wrote: :mrgreen: i love u :mrgreen:
And I love your tasty avantar. This well known european nut spread is in my little kitchen all the time.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Acarian

Post by Acarian » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm

ho yes !!!! an invention of our Italian friends to be exact !

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:07 am

My son cannot wake-up without this spread on his sandwich... :wink: