Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
flowdesigner

can I route the lfo to volume decay?

Post by flowdesigner » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:38 am

Hey,

can I route the lfo to volume decay?

thanks!

ferran

Re: can I route the lfo to volume decay?

Post by ferran » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 am

Maybe programming a pot mapping ?
MOOG gear: Minimoog Voyager, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, VX-351.
My music is in http://soundcloud.com/ferran-romagosa

yesman

Post by yesman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:31 pm

OK, this is my take on this,
Short answer - no - at least not the internal LFO. Also, pot mapping by itself will not get you there. Pot mapping for the most part is just that, you are mapping a pot to another function - say you map the Mod Wheel Buss Amount pot to the VCF cutoff, the VCF cutoff is not going to vary at the rate of the LFO, but will change based upon the physical position of the Amount pot. That said if you have an external CV source, I've the MP-201, you can map the MOD 1 or MOD 2 CV input (these are two of the eight performance controls, which can be mapped and are not related to a pot) to the Amp Decay function. You are mapping the CV input present at the rear panel jack not the Mod Buss output. So if you send an LFO signal - in this case from an MP channel to the MOD 2 input and this is mapped to a function it will control that function. Any additions and or corrections is appreciated.

As an aside one of the Touch Surface axis can be routed to the Amp Decay

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks

Can I do it inderectly - lfo to one pot (that I dont use for anything) - then this pot as source for modulating amp decay

Im using the soundflower editor btw

yesman

Post by yesman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 am

Again - no. First, if you look at the pot mapping source/destination options you will see that the LFO output is not one of the choices.
Second, what you are mapping is the physical pot, not the function of that pot. So, directly/indirectly you cannot route the LFO output to a pot then use that as a source. The only way I see that this can be done is with an external CV. It certainly would be cool if this was able to function as a modulation matrix of the functions of the Voyager, but all things have their limits.

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm

what's your vision? using LFO to alter the fade out? why not just grab the release knob? or are you ear-picturing a modulated fade out, moreso than you could accomplish with a filter mod over a normal fade? not to sound cheeky, just curious as to what you're trying to achieve...