How do you route your touch surface?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
theglyph

How do you route your touch surface?

Post by theglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am

I'll be playing a live show tonight with my voyager and the touch surface will be the main part of the performance alongside the knobs. I'm debating about where to route my TS in a preset and was thinking about all of the possibilities. It's an amazingly expressive input which far too many people ignore so I'd like to know how those who use it like to route its dimensions.

EricK

Re: How do you route your touch surface?

Post by EricK » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:11 am

This is way too simple, but I think that my favorite use of it us using the gate to trigger sequences. I also like affecting the delay with it also, but all that is external.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

Good call Eric! I use my Voyager with my modular and the TS outputs from the VX-351 control all kinds of destinations. You've brought up an interesting thought. I'm building a KLEE sequencer with 1/4" jacks for my Moog gear and will be implementing some uC stuff. The KLEE has a switch which controls clock access. I'll have to look into setting up a possible digital switch input alongside the toggle.

That said It's amazing how many destinations the TS has and I'm assuming many people keep it at the defaults. They're good defaults but the possibilities are still interesting food for thought.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Most often, if I am not sending it to my modular, X=detune of sync Osc, Y=Filter cutoff and A=Filter Q. ( G is unused, mostly. )
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

MC

Post by MC » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Try turning on VCO2->VCO1 FM and routing X to VCO1 pitch and Y to VCO2 pitch, with touch gate triggering the EGs. Sick stuff.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 am

One of the issues that I have with the foogers is their stomp button. So to get around this, I like to keep everything turned on, and then modulate the MIX knob when I want the effect, rather than full on or off, it’s more subtle and it gives me an excuse to twiddle a knob rather than push a button (which is always good).

Normally, I spend my time recording, so, everything is right there in reach, but if I were playing live, I might be less inclined to look away from the Voyager. Using the touchpad to bring some ringmod zest to accentuate a lead for a second might be tempting.

But in the interest of full disclosure I don’t use my touchpad because I don’t want to get any scratches or fingerprints on it. (Im turning into my father.)
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.