Is this normal for a Voyager OS?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
playthatbeat

Is this normal for a Voyager OS?

Post by playthatbeat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm

I use my Voyager OS with a sequencer.

When i use external Pitch CV and gate (VCA envelope switched to external gate of coarse..) - the FILTER does not track with the incoming Pitch CV, it stays at the level of the last pressed key on the keyboard of the Voyager OS itself.

Also: the GLIDE function only works with the on-board keyboard, not with external CV.

Is this normal?

It seems to use GLIDE, the RELEASE switch, or to have the Filter cutoff track the OSC pitch, i must play the keyboard by hand??!

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Portamental

Re: Is this normal for a Voyager OS?

Post by Portamental » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:16 am

No, it's not normal, or it could depend on your sequencer, the way it handles gates.

With the exception of glide (but that's expected), all functions you mentioned work on my OS sequenced by a MFB Step64. The release switch in particular, combined with the release knob setting on the VCA yields particularly interesting textures, kind of fast pad like almost legato, even if both envelopes are triggered every note. As always, OS envelopes are a joy.

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 pm

when controlling my os via cv/gate, all local kb controls are disabled. this includes kb tracking, glide, trigger mode, velocity and after-touch.
when sequencing i use pitch cv input, gate and filter cv input. on the kenton interface i can then program key tracking, glide and trigger modes and a syncable lfo to pitch and filter etc.
this seems logical to me, since i'm bypassing voltages from the local keyboard.
rgds, sid
Voyager OS, Prophet 08, Rhodes MkI 73, NordLead2 and more...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

playthatbeat wrote:I use my Voyager OS with a sequencer.

When i use external Pitch CV and gate (VCA envelope switched to external gate of coarse..) - the FILTER does not track with the incoming Pitch CV, it stays at the level of the last pressed key on the keyboard of the Voyager OS itself.

Also: the GLIDE function only works with the on-board keyboard, not with external CV.

Is this normal?

It seems to use GLIDE, the RELEASE switch, or to have the Filter cutoff track the OSC pitch, i must play the keyboard by hand??!

Anyone else find this to be the case?
I'm just GUESSING here but the problem is likely to be that the Gate signal from your sequencer into Voyager is NOT being properly triggered. If the Envelope is simply staying at the Sustain point, it sounds like it's the first keypress or first note whose envelope has 'fired' but now you are just riding Pitch CV.

I can tell you for sure that my Old School is very very finicky when it comes to what is sees is a gate, vs. a malformed or not quite hot enough signal.

I had my VOS in for a tune up this past summer. Prior to bringing it in, a footswitch would NOT trigger the gate nor would a pulse from some equipment. Now that I have it back, everything is calibrated and working properly. I'm not suggesting that yours needs a tune up, just that depending on how everything is calibrated, it is possible that VOS is not 'hearing' what it wants to hear from a signal perspective.

If you don't have a scope, see about hooking up a voltmeter to the lead coming from the sequencer and playing at a slow tempo. If you have the ability to tweak the pulse width (50% of the time, > 50% of the time high) do so. Be sure that that voltage is not too high, leverage an attenuator if need be (on a VX-351 if you have one).

I built my own sequencer and it works well but I'm buying the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 and anticipate possibly having problems (I've read that others have while still others had no issues whatsoever).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:38 pm

playthatbeat wrote:I use my Voyager OS with a sequencer.
What sequencer are you using? Others may have the same sequencer/voyager combination & might have some ideas...
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Don't forget that you'll need to send the pitch CV from your source into the filter CV input as well. You can do this by MULTing your Pitch CV source and sending both signals into the Voyager PITCH and FILTER CV inputs on your OS. Both the CP-252 and VX-351 have MULTs.

This is an often overlooked detail and I used to make the same mistake with confusion until I built my first modular system and learned the hard way! :D

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
theglyph