Reese Bass patch technique

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lengai

Reese Bass patch technique

Post by Lengai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:13 pm

I found an article by Oliver Brown related to creating a "Reese" bass patch:

http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Ho ... ed-/676680

It's a failry simple piece, but helpful. I would like to exapnd what is covered in the article to cover the Voyager's interface (and any Foogers needed - the article references Phase MF103, Delay MF104, and Flange MF108).

I get the 3 detuned sawtooth oscillators within a 25 cent range. My question pertains to the statement, "The delay effect can make a Reese sound massive! Try using a delay just before the drop." What specifically is "the drop?" Also, is this basically hooking a pedal to the "mix" jack on the MF104 and cutting it off after "the drop?" It sounds like he is referring to a drop in pitch.

My last questions is, "Are these type of basslines always modulated with the Mod Wheel to provide the wobble?" What are some LFO, EG, Pitch, Rate, etc. techniques folks here use on the Voyager that would create a useable Reese type wobble?

I apologize if this has been covered in another thread, but the search only brought up a link to the Taurus pedal.

Mr Shave

Re: Reese Bass patch technique

Post by Mr Shave » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 am

The drop is referred to the arrangement of the song. What he means here specifically, is the moment the kick drum and basslines go all out. Its usually after a breakdown which rises in tension to get the dance floor drooling, and the "drop" is basically when the kicks drop causing the dance floor to go crazy...

As for the delay, I think he is implying a very very short delay time with very minimal feedback. This can make the sound larger in a similar fashion as detuning the oscillators. And if you use it right before the drop, it can add way more tension, which makes the drop so much more epic.

The thing about the wobble, it doesnt really matter if the modulation is coming from the mod wheel or the pedal mod bus... The key to making that kind of bass sound i've noticed is making sure its synced to the tempo of the song. Dubstep (and DnB i guess too), relies on a lot of automation to get that sound. So you might have to use midi to change the LFO rate.. unless you dont care about the timing with your production.

Hope that helps

Lengai

Re: Reese Bass patch technique

Post by Lengai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you, that cleared it up. I appreciate the help. I'll play around with using the MFs and if I come up with some cool techniques I'll post it here.