Phatty up to Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
joe_moog

Phatty up to Voyager

Post by joe_moog » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I had a question that I'm sure has been posed here before, but I couldn't seem to locate any threads about it...

I got my first Moog synth last year -- a Little Phatty Stage II, and have added three more Slims into a polyphonic setup. Let me first state that I'm not a maestro on the keys, by any stretch -- I am a guitar player first and foremost, but Moogerfooger pedals were my gateway drug into Moog. Well, lately, I've been getting the itch to get a Voyager Select. My question is: how much additional sonic goodness will the extra osc and other controls on the Voyager get me than a Phatty? Unfortunately, there are no music stores in the area with one to demo, so I don't really have a feel for whether the leap is worth it for me, given that I'm not a keys virtuoso to begin with.

Any opinions welcome...
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

unfiltered37

Re: Phatty up to Voyager

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Model D.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 pm

A lot more when you add in multiple filter poles, stereo filters, and a whole host of voltage inputs and outputs.

Novamusik= Voyager Select/vx351: 2999
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 am

I hardly use the touchpad. Propably you have to practice playing the touchpad which i never did.

The third oscillator is great for modulation!
http://www.psicolor.de

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 pm

No comparison... i am sure you will have no regrets, the Voyager is so much more powerful even on it's own... without expanders and the moogerfooger pedals and phatty modules you already have ...PLUS the touchpad
and for what it's worth... i absolutely ...LOVE... the touchpad!
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Yes but... if you 'trade up' (ie. get rid of your Phatty), you can say goodbye to Poly (using your SPs as part of a 2..4 voice). Voyager code is antique and not capable of the same style of Polyphonic round robin that is in the latest code on the Phatty range.

(unless somebody wants to correct me)

And I'm not aware that an SP can be singled out as a pseudo 'master' whereby a standard Midi keyboard may talk Midi to it whilst it executes the key distribution.

I'd be pleased if I'm wrong about this.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

monokit

Post by monokit » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm

You can also chain several Voyagers for poly play. And its code is not antique at all! Rudi Linhart is currently working on OS3.6. Show me any other company that still provides updates for their instruments in the 10th year...

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Recently I got a Voyager Performer and there's no turning back! For a while I used to have the same setup of a Little Phatty (x1) + Slim Phatty (x3) to achieve polyphony and to sequence independently. However the Moog Voyager has a much better keyboard (+ aftertouch), much better sounds and a it's built like a tank. For analog polyphony I got a Prophet 08 rack module and sold all of my Phatties on eBay. The Moog Voyager is THE monophonic synth to have!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 am

I tend to want to use a Voyager rather tahn a Little Phatty all the time.
Still I have to move my gear around and here is a point the Phatty is much better at than the Voyager :)

Dilemna.