Voyager Select output impedance

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dualaud

Voyager Select output impedance

Post by dualaud » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 am

Hey there,

what is the output impedance of the Voyager Select?
I'm trying to determine a proper DI box to put my signal through to the FOH.

Thanks!

bunnyman

Re: Voyager Select output impedance

Post by bunnyman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 am

Unless I'm misunderstanding the .pdf manual, it's 600Ω...

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 am

Doesn't FOH accept line level ?

dualaud

Post by dualaud » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes it does, but output impedance (and input impedance of the D.I.) is important to know when choosing a proper D.I. box since it influences the frequencies that are transmitted.
This is extremely apparent with typical guitar output impedances, but could play a role with other sources as well. Also, I'm asking this because the person that is going to build a tube D.I. box for me asked me about this.

@bunnyman
As far as I understood the manual, the information applies only to the RME version of the Voyager, but I could be wrong. Maybe the switching option of the output level applies to RME only, but impedance applies to both. As english isn't my native tounge, I could have misunderstood the specifications in the manual. Please advise.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 am

dualaud wrote:Yes it does, but output impedance (and input impedance of the D.I.) is important to know when choosing a proper D.I. box since it influences the frequencies that are transmitted..
All a D.I does is convert impedance. If your outputing line level and connecting to a line level input (which you are) there is nothing to convert and you dont need a D.I.
dualaud wrote: This is extremely apparent with typical guitar output impedances, but could play a role with other sources as well. Also, I'm asking this because the person that is going to build a tube D.I. box for me asked me about this. ..
Well since you dont need a D.I to connect the Voyager to a mixer or any other line level input your friend would probably be better making you a tube pre amp or distortion pedal or something ,which you will get more use from. A tube D.I will do nothing to the Voyager output except add distrotion from the tubes.
dualaud wrote: Maybe the switching option of the output level applies to RME only, but impedance applies to both. .
Correct.

dualaud

Post by dualaud » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:42 am

Acid Mitch wrote:
dualaud wrote:Yes it does, but output impedance (and input impedance of the D.I.) is important to know when choosing a proper D.I. box since it influences the frequencies that are transmitted..
All a D.I does is convert impedance. If your outputing line level and connecting to a line level input (which you are) there is nothing to convert and you dont need a D.I.
Well, of course it does much more, e.g. balancing, buffering and keeping ground loops from the FOH.
Acid Mitch wrote:
dualaud wrote: This is extremely apparent with typical guitar output impedances, but could play a role with other sources as well. Also, I'm asking this because the person that is going to build a tube D.I. box for me asked me about this. ..
Well since you dont need a D.I to connect the Voyager to a mixer or any other line level input your friend would probably be better making you a tube pre amp or distortion pedal or something ,which you will get more use from. A tube D.I will do nothing to the Voyager output except add distrotion from the tubes.
It is not supposed to distort audibly. His concept was to let uneven harmonics clip before even harmonics in a special way, that would make the sound bigger but not more distorted.
I'm not a technical guy myself, so I can't explain this really... it has something to do with K3 clipping way before K2, but I could perceive the changes this had on the sound during an A-B comparison.

In Europe it is normal on stage to get D.I.s for your position, if you're setting up with keyboards/synthesizers.
Most of the time the D.I. units are ok, but in smaller venues you often get more rubbish D.I., and I wanted to counteract that by bringing my own.

Acid Mitch wrote:
dualaud wrote: Maybe the switching option of the output level applies to RME only, but impedance applies to both. .
Correct.
Thanks!