Touch Surface MIDI won't play back

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cwalcott

Touch Surface MIDI won't play back

Post by cwalcott » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:20 pm

I've been trying to get the midi messages generated by the touch surface to play back. I'm using DP 4.52.

I've set up a patch so that the TS destinations for X, Y and A to CC 31, 30, and 29. When I record and use the TS, I get the messages recorded to the midi track just fine but when I play back, nothing happens.

I've looked all over the menus and can't find anything. The manuals don't help as they don't seem to be in sync with the OS.

- chris

RL

Post by RL » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:40 pm

Hi Chris,
MIDI controller 29, 30, 31 control volume decay/sustain/release. What happens when you use the controller numbers X=19 (cutoff), Y=20 (spacing) and A=21 (resonance)?

cwalcott

Post by cwalcott » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:19 pm

OK, that explains why I wasn't getting playback. Now for a more pressing problem. When I set those controllers and record them, they play back with a lot of distortion and zipper noise.

Any ideas? I'm using DP 4.52 with a MTP-AV USB interface. vgr OS 2.5

- chris

monads

Post by monads » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:29 pm

cwalcott wrote:When I set those controllers and record them, they play back with a lot of distortion and zipper noise.

Any ideas? I'm using DP 4.52 with a MTP-AV USB interface. vgr OS 2.5

- chris
Chris,

Go into the Preferences of DP and go to Editing, Continuous Data. Lower the Ramp Density (default is set at 90). This allows DP to record moe continuous data and is there to give the user greater freedom when recording. I have mine set at 20 and changes are damn smooth. Trying to redraw curves is another story :wink:

cwalcott

Post by cwalcott » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:00 pm

That's not working either. In fact, when I put the track into record on that track and use the touch surface, it distorts.

Is there some setting for my MTP that I'm missing? or is there a setting in the voyager that I need to set? Or (heaven forbid) do I have something wrong with my unit. I know that this is supposed to work.

all the knobs do the same thing. I'm getting plenty of controller density but the zipper noise is always there. except for modulation and pitch. those work fine.

- chris

monads

Post by monads » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:12 pm

The issue with the touch surface is it only allows for ONE number.

That's a problem when your dealing with Most Significant Bit (MSB) and Least Significant Bit (LSB) here. No wonder why you're hearing those zipper noises. I just did a test using Ctrl #19, 20, 21 with the touch surface. Of course LSB #s 51, 52, 53 are not recorded.

If you tried to record a filter sweep using the cutoff knob for example, you'll see #19, and 51 in the event list. This should be addressed in an OS update. Never paid attention to this cause so far I just record continuous data using knobs. Real bummer for now if you're using the touch surface. We need to write tech support about this.

But then you say all knobs sound distorted? You're not filtering out any controller #s correct? I doubt it's the voyager. Check your Midi interface. I use a Motu Micro Lite and have no problems.

Lastly, in DP preferences Play And Record, Midi Solo & Patch Thru. I keep Midi Patch Thru set to Off. Unless I want to send midi to another synth, then I'd select Auto channelize. Direct echo could be the problem if it's selected.

Let me know.

RL

Post by RL » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:21 pm

>> This should be addressed in an OS update. Never paid attention to this
>> cause so far I just record continuous data using knobs. Real bummer
>> for now if you're using the touch surface. We need to write tech support
>> about this.

I think sending MSB and LSB for the touch surface controllers X/Y/A produces too much MIDI data.

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:51 pm

Ive found certain sequencer / instrument apps and hard synths cannot take in the midi info that the voyager sends out , ive tried changing buffers / midi filters to no avail. MMV just sends too much =)

cwalcott

Post by cwalcott » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:03 pm

If you tried to record a filter sweep using the cutoff knob for example, you'll see #19, and 51 in the event list. This should be addressed in an OS update. Never paid attention to this cause so far I just record continuous data using knobs. Real bummer for now if you're using the touch surface. We need to write tech support about this.
OK, so I figured out that every knob sends out 2 CC number (thanks for that little bit of info!). I still don't understand why that is but at least I know that now and can filter that out on input. I guess that question should be addressed in another thread.

Seems to me like the TS is the most expressive modulator as it controls 3 things. It's clearly crippled at this point for midi recording.
But then you say all knobs sound distorted? You're not filtering out any controller #s correct? I doubt it's the voyager. Check your Midi interface. I use a Motu Micro Lite and have no problems.

Lastly, in DP preferences Play And Record, Midi Solo & Patch Thru. I keep Midi Patch Thru set to Off. Unless I want to send midi to another synth, then I'd select Auto channelize. Direct echo could be the problem if it's selected.

I tried working with the filter cutoff knob and I'm still getting zipper noise on playback. My DP pref for Play and Record was set to Auto. I also tried setting it to Off. No difference even after filtering the extra CC.

I have not had a chance to try another midi interface yet. I have a MOTU Fastlane but for some reason I couldn't get it working yesterday. I'll try again early this week. However, I don't think it's the interface as it never causes a problem with the mod or pitch wheel. The recorded date looks OK. I get the same problem regardless of how dense the data is.

I feel like I'm getting closer to figuring this out -- at least in my understanding of how it works but unfortunately, I'm still unable to playback any CC's other than mod and pitch properly.

- chris

monads

Post by monads » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:33 pm

cwalcott wrote:

Seems to me like the TS is the most expressive modulator as it controls 3 things. It's clearly crippled at this point for midi recording.

- chris
I believe it was more intended for the live musician. You can record them seperately, during different passes, however I havn't tried so I can't tell how the voyager will respond to all the data.

pastiche27

Post by pastiche27 » Sun May 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Has this been fixed yet in any of the os updates? i see the continous control data being recorded in logic . but it is not playing back still.

will someone at Moog please post a" how to " sticky in this forum about this for both logicpro and digital performer. I use the touch screen on every patch i create and use it to create rythmic pads and leads. so far i've had to create the touch pad rythms while recording live but would like to play them back in midi with no zipper noise.

thanks

Skids

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:06 pm

bump! ive been trying to record touchpad info into my mpc with little success..has the latest os 3.4 improved anything?
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

filtersweeperVCO

Post by filtersweeperVCO » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 pm

goldphinga wrote:bump! ive been trying to record touchpad info into my mpc with little success..has the latest os 3.4 improved anything?
I don't think the MPC would be able to handle that much midi data. I had trouble properly sequencing more then 2 synths with no glitches/stuck notes.
GEAR: Moog Voyager, MF 102, VX-351, Roland JX-3P, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Pulse +, Waldor Micro Q, emagic AMT8, MPC 1000, Sherman filterbank 2 (rack) Korg Kaoss pad 3, MAM ADX1 drum machine, and Yorkville LS 800P
http://soundcloud.com/filtersweeper